Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Out of State

We live in Michigan and are heading south to locate and buy a used 5th wheel from either a dealer or an individual in one of the southern states . If we buy from an individual, what will I and the seller need to do to 1.) legally transfer ownership to me and then 2.) legally tow it back to Michigan without a license plate on it? I plan to register (and pay MI state sales tax) and title it in Michigan. I assume I will need a signed Bill of Sale with the seller's name and address on it and also the unit's title showing the seller has no lien on the unit and has signed it over to me. What else will I need? I also assume the seller will want to keep his license plate. In lieu of any license plate, do I put a sign on the back saying "IN TRANSIT" while I'm towing it back to MI? Thanks. Chuck

cwbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Home Prescott, Az
Posts: 1,019
Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
When I purchased my used 5th wheel and the truck from the same guy, I called my bank manager and had the money wired directly to his account. My manager said wait about 30 minutes and the money will be there. We waited and the seller called his bank and the money was in his account. We then drove to the DMV and signed the paperwork that showed the title was notarized that he no longer owned it. With that signed paper title, he allowed me to keep the plates on the rigs till I returned to Michigan. I then paid the Michigan tax at the DMV . Once I had the Michigan plates on I took a photo to send to him showing I did as I said I would and he said to toss the plates. It worked out perfect for us. Yes i verified that the title vin numbers matched the units, there was no lein and everything was as it should have been.

2013 Tiffin Allegro 34 QFA
2015 Cadillac SRX (towed)
2019 Tesla Model X
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Site Team
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where we park it
Posts: 2,838
You should be able to go to the local DMV with the signed Bill of Sale w/VIN number--this should be enough to get a temp permit to take it home, or go by that office prior to the sale and see what they need to issue the temp permit.
Then, if the seller has no lien on the trailer, he should be able to sign it in correct space and you can use it at your home DMV to apply for title and pay taxes. Having the Bill of Sale notarized may help in getting the new title.
2016 Tiffin 40 QBH
2015 38RSSA, traded
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

out of state, used purchase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.