PDA

View Full Version : fifth wheel backing up

mwgus
09-30-2018, 01:54 PM
hello thanks for letting me joining this forum. I have had a travel trailer for 15 years. we just purchased a 5th wheel. I have never had a problem backing up. but seem to have a problem backing up our 5thwheel. does any one have any suggestions, or tricks for backing up. thanks Gus

Stripit
09-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Practice, practice, that is how most of us gained the expertise in our backing skills. I found a large vacant parking lot and placed cones out and tried to get the trailer in between the cones. At first it was not pretty, squashed a few cones and felt this was a lot harder that I had ever thought. But after more practice and a few new unsquashed cones, I got it. I also found going the extra 50 to 100 feet beyond where I wanted to back in gave me some room to adjust easier than trying to back in into a site if I was just a bit beyond the site. 5th wheels and travel trailers back different because of the hitch placement.

mwgus
09-30-2018, 06:33 PM
thank for your reply, I tried the extra distance and it worked it made it possible to get it in first shot.

elliott-maine
10-08-2018, 03:33 PM
The easiest way to back a 5th wheel is to look where you want the tires to go, and have a safty person to watch the rear of the trailer. I've even heard of people who laid out their extension cord along the path they want their wheels to go.

hotpepperkid
10-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Just remember a 5th wheel doesnt cheat as quick as a trailer but when it starts it goes big time, so most of us over steer

grafton guns
10-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Definitely use a spotter. Give yourself plenty of room. Back up slowly. Try and give yourself as much room to back up straight and then Gently steer the ass end towards your spotter. I use the wife as a spotter on my driver side.

SrFox
10-08-2018, 09:53 PM
I remember when I went from bumper pull to 5th wheel. It just takes a bit of practice. There is good advice above about giving yourself more room and watch where your trailer tires go. Good luck.

Canuck_Dave
10-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Best clue I heard about backing up a 5th ( our first summer after years of bumper tow) was GOAL , Get Out And Look as often as needed. Go slow and practice lots.