PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brakes

BobW
10-02-2009, 03:02 PM
I was told that if I have my controller set on the highest setting, 10, and if I manually moved the brake to full, I should be able to smoke the trailer tires. Is this true? Can you? I have the factory Ford controller.

wingnut60
10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Easy answer--yes and no. I can't smoke the tires with my 450 set at 10, but it will stop the rig quickly and surely--at 9.0, less surely. But can't drag the trailer with the brakes manually set, either--haven't worried enough about this to use 4WL and try to drag.
I guarantee you that using the manual application with my 17000lb MS will result in severe neck-snapping, but no smoking tires. The results were the same with my last '07 F350.
Joe

BobW
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I had to replace the lower bracket that the shock mounts to. While I had it jacked up, I hooked up the trailer cable and had my wife apply the brake. Every wheel worked. To what degree, I don't know. I also adjusted the braked also. We will see. By the way. I found out that the wheel that had the broken shock also had flat spotted. About 1/4 inch was scraped off the tire. I replaced it with the spare. I wonder if the broken mount flat the tire, or did the flatten tire brake the mount?

Huck
10-17-2009, 06:13 AM
It sounds like it may have been locking up. But not the other three wheels.
It may be the lighter weight of the four.

On a lighter weight trailer you can lockup the wheels on pavement. But I have only tried it on dirt or gravel with my Mobile Suite.