Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Jaejag

Safe towing

I recently purchased a used 2018 Ford F-350 Platinum with the 6.7 turbo diesel. My next move is to purchase a used or new 5th wheel. I want to avoid anything too large that will make me wish I got a dually but at the same time want a quality camper with as much room as possible. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Jaejag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Get the truck weighed with all occupants in that will travel when towing, also whatever will be in the bed. Add 150-200lbs for a hitch. Once you get the weight, the rear axle weight rating (GAWR) is going to be a limiting factor + the max weight the tires are rated to carry (usually around 7500lbs). Once you have a valid weight number to work with, and an axle weight to give you the what is already on the axle, then you can use 20% (pin weight) of the GVWR of any trailer you are considering. If the pin weight + the axle weight/tire rating are = to or more than the RAWR/tire rating, you need to find a smaller fiver. The GVWR on your truck is probably around 11400, but the rear axle and tires are the real limit on a single rear wheel truck.
RAWR = +/- 7500lbs; rear axle as weighed =4500lbs. 7500 - 4500 = 3000. This is the maximum pin weight you should consider. At 20% of GVWR, the max trailer you can consider is 15000. And this will be pushing it a lot. DO NOT WORK with any 'dry weight' numbers a mfg will list, not reality.
A lot of people tow heavy fivers with 250s, but should you do it? Your choice, at least you have a 350 to help with the numbers.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
ampettigus

I have a 2500 Silverado with 6.6 Diesel Duramax and have safely crossed from coast coast twice and this year 13000miles to the Canadian Maritimes from NC - I am pulling a Keystone Cougar 32feet 8500lbs shipping weight - Going bigger will result in not fitting into many State Parks
ampettigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
stanleyz

Like wingfoot said but Ill make it eaiser. Do not overload the rear tires. U are not gonna bend the axle but the tires will blow. The rest is compromise. Small 5ers are easier to tow and park but a sacrifice of space. Quality cost money. How much do u want to spend. Keep in mind cheap trailers will depreciate quickly. There only a couple quality trailers being mass produced. Petersen and i guess DRV. Look for quality underneath first. Frame axels, brakes, slide out mechanics and all the sealing on the exterior. Then the stuff inside that make it comfortable. U are buying a trailer. First make sure it is a solid trailer. Then know you will have to maintain it. If you are not handy and knowledgeable on fixing it you best have a very deep pocket. Good luck.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote