Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Mail Forwarding

We are not full timers, but we "snow bird" and will be gone about 5+ months.
We had someone looking after our mail, but this year we need another way.
We're not looking to establish out of state residents, just to not have the mail box back home flowing out onto the road.
Looking for a good recommendation for a mail service.

Thanks,
John

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Overall cheapest way to control the mail is hire a neighbor, at least that was how we did it. They collected the mail and sorted the junk and sent us the "good stuff" when we requested it.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Jnall4

I'm in that same boat. Who has experience with a service that doesn't cost a fortune but you trust?
2004 RSTK3
Jnall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Don't know about the 'fortune' but any service has to profitable to keep going. We use Escapees, but you have to be a member. If you don't have a reliable neighbor/relative to handle it, just start looking at the various RV forums (IRV2.com is very active) for opinions of the various services.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
OCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Looking for a good recommendation for a mail service.
Thanks,
John
Have you talked the Post Office.

There is two ways and one is just basic First Class (it does us fine) and the other more fitted for a business.

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

About 2 weeks before we start home we have the PO just hold the mail. Only problem we had was our bank would not allow bank statements to be forwarded. We can view everything on line so no problem.

Clay a Winter Texan
OCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
fjr vfr

Yup...been thinking about that.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Bosstweed

Smile Post Office

You can go online (be sure you get the Official) to the USPS and request the mail forwarding. They will charge you 1 $Dollar only and forward your mail on a start date you select and an end date you select. They will only forward for either 5 or 6 months only. Been doing this myself for the last few years, works great.Be careful online, lots of websites who will supposedly forward for a fee, don’t recommend any of those.
Bosstweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
pterrydactyl

All my bills are paid by timed auto payment or online or thru an app. If available I go paperless and can see my accounts thru my bank or their sites. If I get a check I photo deposit otherwise all SS and IRA payments are direct deposit. Doesn’t cover everyone’s needs but does mine.

There is America’s Mailbox
http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/advantages

Also one out of Florida.

Hope you get all setup. Happy RVing.
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Notanlines

This was just covered in depth on a large site we frequent and the vast majority of posters gave the USPS and their forwarding success a very large thumbs down! Brenda and I have tried them for three of our six years and the results are positively atrocious.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #10
bmarshman

Mail Forwarding

For me, I rented a mail box from the local UPS store and have all my mail sent there. I use their address as my own so no mail comes to my house. Where ever I go I have them send my mail to whatever address I am at anywhere in the Country about every 3 or 4 weeks, of course by UPS. I can move around the entire country and have never lost a letter along the way. When I am at home base I just go to the store and access my from my mail box about once a week. I know this doesn't work for everyone but for me it has been great and I never have to worry. Their are other mail forwarding services if you spend so time looking for them. Good Luck.
bmarshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
RRman

Premium USPS Mail Forwarding

For the 3-4 Months we spend in the RGV as Winter Texans we use the $19.95/week USPS Mail Forwarding. That way our half a dozen magazines, all mail (including junk), including important TAX related statements come our way so we can file our Taxes promptly. Once a week they send it all using Priority Mail package to our RV Park Address/Box. Expensive, but it usually works (often inept home Post Office).
Otherwise we usually just use "Hold Mail" or "Change of Address" during other journeys at other times of year.