Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
HappiPapa3

5th Wheel Options for Traveling with Dogs?

Hi everyone,

I am new and this is my first post. I have been researching the right RV combo for my family. I have a wife, three kids and 2 large dogs. I was considering purchasing a toy hauler 5er so I could run the A/C while driving and keep the dogs in the garage of the toy hauler (since there would be no room for them in the pickup). However, a friend told me the condenser on the A/C would freeze up if ran while moving. Is that true? If so, that crushes my purchase plans and brings me back to square one and leaves me with the following question. Any suggestions on how to travel with dogs if they don't fit in the tow vehicle?

HappiPapa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

The AC should run just fine while traveling, assuming you have the generator power to run it. Perhaps, tho, you should try staying in the garage area while someone tows you around--just to see what it is like, not sure this is a good deal for pets...
Consider, tho, if you have a propane gen, and use it for the AC, it can go thru a 40lb bottle in about 24-30 hours, or quicker. Varies with gen size and AC load.
I myself, would not subject our dogs (Yorkies) to that type of travel.
Hope you find a solution--how about a motorhome? That would work for people and pets.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
HappiPapa3

Joe,

Thanks for the quick response. I was not sure how bad the ride would be for the dogs in the 5er while traveling. We have been debating the motorhome and 3/4 ton Van/travel trailer options as well. I have read many posts on the forum and my wife likes the truck/5er option. We are still about 2 years out from making our purchase. This is a significant investment so I want to make sure we do all of our homework to find the best option for our family.
Pete
HappiPapa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
ptysonjr

AC should run just fine on generator but that ride may be insane for them. Sounds like you are prime candidate for motor home to me.
B&W Companion Hitch
ptysonjr is offline   Reply With Quote