Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
mstacy1

MS Unit # 0516

Just currious if anyone has a unit with an earlier number than mine. It's a 2003 CK3. From what I've seen there has been a lot of changes since then......some good, some, not so much.

mstacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Have not paid that much attention to early numbers, but that comes close to being a classic!
I guess that was when it was still a Sunnybrook company product?

Hope it has served you well.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
jwbups

I believe #501 was the 1st number DRV used when they started buildilg mobile suites. I had a 2004 mobile suite and have followed this site for many years and I believe # 501 was back at the factory numerous times and the factory put updates at no charge onto that unit. The next person that visits Paul Cross at Indiana interstate ask him for some history. I have a visit scheduled with him mid October.
2006 Elite Suite #3207 ,
jwbups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Wonder if there is any interest in beginning a history log of these trailers?

Wonder, also, if Airstream/Holiday Rambler and others have had the growing pains this lineup has had? All we get to read about are the problems, not the successes.

Joe
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
mstacy1

This unit was originally purchased in Brandon, Florida. We bought it in late 09 from the original owners who were full timers for seven years. While it was still in good shape, it needed updating. What started as a floor covering change ended up being a total interior make over. Funny how that happens. The entertainment center had to be reconfigured for the newer TV's. All the drawer slides were upgraded to self closing ball bearing type and they are now supported from the floor instead of the plastic supports originally used, most of which were broken. A lot of the "trim" was deleted as was the cabinet w/roll-up door in kitchen for more usable counter space. Laminate counter tops were replaced with cultured marble. All hardware was changed from gold to satin nickel. Installed a residential shower faucet and vessel sink in the bath. Built floor supported shelves in the W/D closet and put down cheery floors. Also painted all the walls and doors. All seems to be working well, but have yet to take it on the road since pulling it home. Next comes a full inspection of suspension, brakes, etc.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstacy1
What started as a floor covering change ended up being a total interior make over. Funny how that happens.
Okay, now you've done it. We NEED photos and more precise detail. What is your cheery floor made out of?

I keep tweeking our interior with new updates. Even though it's only 3 years old, some RV items just don't work as well for us as fulltimers. I have a list of updates, I'd like to do over the next 5 years. I've been envisioning changes to our bedroom closet for the last 6 mos. Just haven't quite started working on David to make him think it's "his" idea and we can do it cheap.

Vickie
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
John Landry

I purchased a Mobile Suite in 2008 from an older couple, His wife was ill and they did not use the camper for two years. They purchase it I think in September of 2003 and it was sold as a 2004 unit. My 36TK3 unit # 0816. I love it and still to this day keep in touch with the previous owner. I made a lot of upgrades to my unit like replacing all the draw slide plastic rear holders with plywood strips from front to back. I never have any problems with my draws any more. I also installed an electric heating coil to my propane furnaces. This unit hooked right up to the furnaces by removing the old plenum and install the new one that handles the 5000 watt heating coil. Then hook up all the duck piping. This system doesn't eliminate the gas side so you still have access to it. With the flip of a switch you can go from heating with gas to electric, just like the hot water tank. I have yet put it to the test. I installed it this summer and loking forward to using it this winter.
John Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

"Okay, now you've done it. We NEED photos and more precise detail. What is your cheery floor made out of? "

Dittos on this...

Joe
Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
mstacy1

I have some before and after pics but they are larger than 512kb limit. If anyone would like to send their email address to me at mstacy1@yahoo.com I'll send them. Someone asked if this was a Sunnybrook unit, yes it was. The flooring is a Dupont laminate (Antique Cheery) with the moisture barrier attached. I layed it directly on the plywood and it was thin enough to go under the slides without impeding their movement. Since it's a "floating" floor, I figured it would allow for the flex of the trailer without popping up. I also used the leftovers to trim out the slides in place of the original fabric. Quarter round trim was replaced with regular baseboard in the larger areas, closet and bath.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Joezilla

Re: MS Unit # 0516

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstacy1
Just currious if anyone has a unit with an earlier number than mine. It's a 2003 CK3. From what I've seen there has been a lot of changes since then......some good, some, not so much.
There is a couple in our park that has unit #0725. They bought it new in January of 03. It's a 36 RL3. It has the Sunnybrook name on the rear of it. Still looks pretty good too.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
bstark

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Landry
I purchased a Mobile Suite in 2008 from an older couple, His wife was ill and they did not use the camper for two years. They purchase it I think in September of 2003 and it was sold as a 2004 unit. My 36TK3 unit # 0816. I love it and still to this day keep in touch with the previous owner. I made a lot of upgrades to my unit like replacing all the draw slide plastic rear holders with plywood strips from front to back. I never have any problems with my draws any more. I also installed an electric heating coil to my propane furnaces. This unit hooked right up to the furnaces by removing the old plenum and install the new one that handles the 5000 watt heating coil. Then hook up all the duck piping. This system doesn't eliminate the gas side so you still have access to it. With the flip of a switch you can go from heating with gas to electric, just like the hot water tank. I have yet put it to the test. I installed it this summer and loking forward to using it this winter.
Whoa nelly; now that's a mod worth considering. It would be very interesting to hear details of wiring from the panel right above the furnace and assume the heat strip at 5000 watts is 240v ergo; 50 amp a must have for useage. That'll get the meter spinning.

All those overnighters where the electric fee is included will have a few parks worried about this mod during the cooler nights. Haaar!

Some parks still have signage saying No heaters, washer dryers, fireplaces etc., they'll love this one!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
JOHN EVANS

We just bought a quartz heater from Sams club to help heat our rig this winter while in the Fla panhandle. The little cermic heaters we have just didnt quite do the job last winter on the nights that the temps dropped to 32 or so . Thinking of putting clear plastic heat shrinking storm windows on the inside. Anyone do this ?
JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Gillesm

JOHN lANDRY We have a 2004 1366 and love it can you s
end or post pictures and what is the make of your furnace installation.
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
John Landry

Electric Heater Coil Upgrade

I tried to post pictures on the Electric post and didn't succeed with it.
The unit was purchased from rvcomfortsystems.com ( Cheap Heat )
If you e-mail me at pawjohn@yahoo.com I could send them to you. The system is wired up 240 volts and is run through a 30 Amp disconnect. I will try it for the first time this Winter and will keep every body up to date. I went through two propane bottles my last trip out that the temperture was in the low 30's and mid 20's. Just to fill the two bottles when I returned from my trip it cost me over $ 86.00 dollars. This upgrade should save me money. My RV runs on a 50 Amp Service and when I call CG's for reservations they ask me what size hook up I need. I know that during the Winter months the CG's Electricity useage is lower. Do they drop their prices of their camper spot hook ups. I don't see where my unit will use any more electricity during the Winter than the Summer when I have two A/C units going at one time. This upgrade took me about 15 hours to install and was told by Mr. larry with Cheap Heat that it takes them about 7 hours to do it. I tried it after the installation and it worked perfect, but the outside temperture was around 72 degrees. This system cost about $ 1500.00 to 1700.00 dollars to install. The only way I was able to get this unit and install it myself was to become a dealer in my area. There was no Rv dealer in my area that wanted to become a dealer for the Cheap Heat system. Hope this helps you.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
hitchup

Re: Electric Heater Coil Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Landry
I know that during the Winter months the CG's Electricity useage is lower. Do they drop their prices of their camper spot hook ups. I don't see where my unit will use any more electricity during the Winter than the Summer when I have two A/C units going at one time.
Some of the CG's we stay in have lower winter rates. But many that don't charge for electricity on monthly rate rule sheet states, "No space Heaters". But part of that could be for fire hazard as much as electricity usage.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
John Landry

Electric Heater Installation

I can not get any pictures to upload on this Site. Just to let any body know that if you want to see my installation of this system you can go to irv2.com and go to the 5th wheel discussion fourm, then to the 2nd page find Paw John electric central heat topic. Then go to the 2nd page of that topic and I have some pictures on it. Hopefully I will get to try out my heater this weekend, our weather temperture should be getting to the 40's. Will be camping out with the Grandkids this weekend at the house. This should be a good time.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
jwbups

Picked up my trailer at Indiana Interstate yesterday, just normal maintence and some small repair jobs. All items on my list were addressed and the charges were very fair for the work completed, thanks again to Paul Cross and his crew. Asked him about the 1st trailer DRV built and he said it was # 500, and it was updated numerous times by the factory ay no charge. I asked who owned it and he said one of the silent owners had purchased the unit and it was at the factory site at the rear of the property. Paul said he attempted to buy it but failed to a part owner of DRV. So 12 units were built prior to # 512 the main subject of this topic
2006 Elite Suite #3207 ,
jwbups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
The View 5046

If I remember correctly $500 was at the Drv rally in Colorado Springs in 2010. I don't know who owns it but it has been upgraded over the years... Happy Trails....

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #19
Jack in Alaska

MS 1051

I purchased MS 1051 (33' RE3, new in Everett, Wash. in 2004. I just today arrived in Casa Grande, Az. with it to stay the winter. It has approx. 50k miles on it.

Our original shake down run was from Washington to Cancun to the factory then to Alaska. While at the factory getting repairs done by Paul Cross I discovered MS 500, the 1st one built, out in the back of the yard. It had been taken apart and put back, modified, new things added. The 1st hydraulic system had been installed on it in 2004 to see how it would work.

After getting the list of repairs done our trailer has been virtually flawless for us. We stay in it approx. 5 mo. per year. WE are on our 3rd set of GY G614 tires and have never had one problem. This year I purchased a TST tire monitor system and it works great. Gives one peace of mind that I could stop the rig in time if something went amiss on a tire.
I highly recommend TST monitors with the replaceable batteries in the monitors as they work well for me.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote