Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #1
JVince

2003 Carriage Cameo Holding Tank Cover Removal?

Hello,
I have a 2003 Cameo F32KS3 and the black tank valve rod fell off during transit. The receiver collar on the valve side is shot, so I'm planning on replacing both the black and gray valves.

The problem is that there is a hard plastic insulation cover over the entire tank and valves and the dump rods just feed through the tank (see link below). I'd love to remove the cover but I don't see a way to get it out of the way without cutting the dump pipe. I don't have any current leaks, just this rod issue so I don't want to start cutting things if I don't have to.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nG1...usp=share_link

I've read that Airstreams used metal covers like this and folks are cutting access ports to replace valves. I suppose that might work but I have no idea where the valves are since I can't see under there yet .

Has anyone ran into anything like this? Any easy solutions? Thanks!
-Vince

JVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
Dave The AV Guy

We have a Carriage Carri-Lite 2007 model with the same type of holding tank cover. Ours came with an area cut out that was supposed to allow access to the valves (ours are Drainmaster 12 VDC electric valves) but the access port was really just too small, so I enlarged it. It is a pain to drop the entire pan, and it's even more of a pain to re-install it, given there's no real structure to the pan. So after having dropped it 2 or 3 times over the years, I decided to throw it away, and I used thin angle steel to frame up a new cover and used sheets of about 1/2" think polypropylene from Lowe's to screw on to the framing. I also created a larger access port that can come off with six screws for fast easy access. I expect for you it will be easiest to drop the whole pan and then cut out a suitable sized access area. Working it up so that the piece you cut out can be used as the new cover will be a bit of a hassle. The big picture issue here is that Carriage, like all RV manufacturers, virtually always do things the fastest easiest least expensive way they can that will work for a few years. This was confirmed in my mind again this past winter when I totally removed the kitchen slide, removed the original flooring in the main area and had new flooring installed. I had to replace the slide roof membrane and ended up having to replace the rollers the slide rolls on and make a few other 'upgrades' to things that were not engineered to last a long time in the first place. So, all that to say sorry Vince, there are no easy solutions. Perhaps I should say the solution could be described as 'easy', but it you will find the process rather frustrating! If you do drop the entire pan, you may want to consider installing the electric dump valves. You can find them at www.drainmaster.com. I've interacted with them several times and produced a couple of videos for them, and they are easy to talk to and give good service.

Dave The AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
JVince

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I've run into similar challenges on getting a more user friendly access panel.

Plan A is to cut out a section above the dump pipe the same width as the dump pipe so the entire panel can slide down and off once it's unscrewed. I can fab a cover for the missing section pretty easily with some leftover plastic I have lying around. If that doesn't work I may just permanently mount the factory cover and just cut out a smaller square access hole and fab a new cover.

Either way I'm happy to say that inside of the cover the valves, insulation and piping are in great condition considering the age of the trailer. I bought this from the original owner, and he didn't remember ever having the valves changed out so there's a chance they were original

Thanks again for the reply and info!
-V
JVince is offline   Reply With Quote