Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
wishiwaslivinrv

Landing Gear Upgrade or Replace

Hello all first post!

I have a 2003 Forest River Wildcat 28ft BH. We went out and had a landing gear jack go out. I was able to limp in off the truck and back on to get it home but had a replace one of the jack. The motor is smoked from the the jack stand binding up to having to crank by manual power at the moment. I have had recommendation from RV dealer to replace the whole system as one jack going bad puts additional strain on the other and eventually the other jack goes bad. For now I was able to pick up a used jack and switch the guts out from the old jack to at least make it work manually.

Question I have for you all is:

should I replace the whole set up?

If I do replace the whole set up can I go with a set of landing gear that has dual motors? And would this be beneficial for leveling and use?

Currently I have a landing gear with a cross adjustable rod to connect the jacks and raise landing gear equally. These seem to be outdated and becoming harder to find and more expensive. If I am going to replace the whole set up I mine as well go with something more convenient.

Thanks for all your guidance and thoughts

Matt

wishiwaslivinrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
CHAPS2018

It’s a function of cost. The single motor system is still shipping today. Dual motor system is 2x or more the cost (last I checked).

When I had this problem with my 2018 rig, this blog post was infinitely important to develop my understanding of the operation.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/repairing...l-landing-leg/

Good luck.

CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
jetjockey99

I replaced mine with the Ultra Fab dual motor set and am very happy with them. Parts where very hard to get for my originals and they had been badly maintained by the original owner, the Ultra fabs just flat out work great.
jetjockey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
wishiwaslivinrv

I ended up replacing the lead leg from a RV salvage and a new motor. Was able to get it back on the road... truck. for less that 250. If I have to replace again I will be going with the dual motor system.
wishiwaslivinrv is offline   Reply With Quote