Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
joshEyeti

Water pump runs continuously - no water leaks - water pressure is fine, no sputtering

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum. Forgive me if this issue has been covered but I have been searching on here and on Google but cannot find anything that is similar to my issue.

I live in my fifth wheel full-time. Recently my water pump started running continuously without any faucets being open. I checked all connections under the sinks, found no leaks, went underneath where the pump was located, and found no leaks there. I had a spare pump lying around, so I decided to put that in to see if the pump was the issue. It has not solved the issue, as it continuously runs the same as the last pump. When I changed the pump, I also put in a new in-line strainer. Still having the same issue.

The weird thing is, I have perfectly fine water pressure when any faucet is opened. Also just as weird, I have zero air sputtering out of the lines. I have turned on the water pump and opened every single faucet in the trailer, closing each one from furthest away from the pump to the closest to the pump. Still having the same issue.

I have been living in this trailer full-time for nearly 4 months, and have never had any issue like this prior. The trailer is fairly new, as it is a 2017. I have also checked all the winterization/fill valves to make sure that they are in the same position as they were. All switches are in the correct position, but just to be sure I switched them back-and-forth to make sure everything was seated correctly.

When I turn on the water pump and stick my head under the kitchen sink, I can hear what sounds like air leaking.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is mine and my families home, so it is imperative that we get this water system working correctly. Thank you and God bless.

joshEyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
joshEyeti

UPDATE: chose to cut off the fitting that connects the OEC pipe to the water pump on the vacuum side and replace with different one that was included with the new pump I had lying around. I used a hose clamp to make suer the new fitting was air tight. I then checked the faucets, but now the system was full of air and the faucets just sputtered. I then ran the pump and let air out of each of the faucets, one at a time, starting with the faucet furthest away and working back toward the pump. As soon as air was clear of the line, the pump pressurized and then stopped like it should. One thing to note, when I went to remove the new pump and put the original pump back in, the “send” side of the pump was completely pressurized and full of water when I unscrewed the pipe from the pump. That made it easy to tell that the issue was on the vacuum side of the pump, not on the “send” side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshEyeti View Post
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum. Forgive me if this issue has been covered but I have been searching on here and on Google but cannot find anything that is similar to my issue.

I live in my fifth wheel full-time. Recently my water pump started running continuously without any faucets being open. I checked all connections under the sinks, found no leaks, went underneath where the pump was located, and found no leaks there. I had a spare pump lying around, so I decided to put that in to see if the pump was the issue. It has not solved the issue, as it continuously runs the same as the last pump. When I changed the pump, I also put in a new in-line strainer. Still having the same issue.

The weird thing is, I have perfectly fine water pressure when any faucet is opened. Also just as weird, I have zero air sputtering out of the lines. I have turned on the water pump and opened every single faucet in the trailer, closing each one from furthest away from the pump to the closest to the pump. Still having the same issue.

I have been living in this trailer full-time for nearly 4 months, and have never had any issue like this prior. The trailer is fairly new, as it is a 2017. I have also checked all the winterization/fill valves to make sure that they are in the same position as they were. All switches are in the correct position, but just to be sure I switched them back-and-forth to make sure everything was seated correctly.

When I turn on the water pump and stick my head under the kitchen sink, I can hear what sounds like air leaking.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is mine and my families home, so it is imperative that we get this water system working correctly. Thank you and God bless.

joshEyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Notanlines

I guess all's well that ends well. But where does your water come from to the supply side of the pump? Do you not have a water supply where you are parked?
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
cardozaq001@msn.com

Some water pumps and/or rig water systems have a bypass system that may be set incorrectly allowing water to pressurize but continually bypass and run at the same time. It usually is on the pump, but since you have a new pump, it most likely was set right at the factory.
cardozaq001@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

I am wondering why the pump was running also--is there not a utility hookup supplying water?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet, leak, pump, shower, water