Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
5050racing

Clear sealant to use

What is recommended or people using to reseal the slide n trim on the exterior openings the factory is clear not sure what is working for most people? Thanks

5050racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:32 PM   #2
CaptainPalapa

For anything that needs clear sealant, I just use standard silicone and a caulking gun. That's me, though. YMMV.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
5050racing

I see dicor does make it in clear planning to use it since it RV use thanks but other ideas welcome
Old 07-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
CaptainPalapa

Bear in mind that *where* you use it matters. I'm not sure if you're referring to Lap sealant or not. Mostly, I use lap sealant (we use Alpha brand for our GD, sometimes Dicor) for the roof. Be sure to note "regular" vs. "non-sag". The non-sag is for vertical applications. The regular "puddles", which is good for places on the roof.

If Dicor makes a clear sealant, I would suspect its *not* lap sealant. Clear would usually imply silicone, and I would recommend saving money with regular silicone vs. the Dicor brand if you're using it for non-roof uses.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
5050racing

Instructions

Says for openings door windows not roof I have fiberglass roof anyway it’s made for what I’m doing according to instructions so should be good I understand the non and self leveling cool
5050racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #6
anijet

I've tried several lap joint sealers.

Geocel 28100V is my second favorite. It is as easy as any to use, lasts a few (3-4) years and comes off ok for the next reseal. It turns a cloudy clear.

Clear Lexel is the one I use now. With practice it can be applied to look good (with Lexel I use masking tape). It lasts the best. I haven't had to reseal any yet and the oldest is about three years old and looks good. I did try to remove some for a small repair and it was a bear, it really sticks.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

Here is a trick for you rookie caulkers. Apply the bead size you want then spray the surface with glass cleaner and use your finger to tool off. This will leave you a perfect caulk joint. NO lip from a taped edge.

Straight "Silicone" is the worse thing a person can use. Laytex adhesive caulk is good and easily caulked. Whatever you use needs to be "adhesive". LEXEL is a horrible sealant to use. be sure to get a FRESH tube and place in in hot water to heat up before use and then it's more user friendly.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
5050racing

So I plan to use dicor clear n nice idea with window cleaner I use that tinting windows thanks I know not to use silicone
Old 07-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050racing View Post
So I plan to use dicor clear n nice idea with window cleaner I use that tinting windows thanks I know not to use silicone
It was one of the best tricks I learned from a Cabinet Installer years ago on one of my jobs. The guy wasn't a great craftsman but boy did his caulking turn out perfectly!!!

Old 07-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #10
cmikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
LEXEL is a horrible sealant to use.
Why? I've used it. I didn't have any problems applying it, and once it's applied, it seems to last forever. I guess the downside to that last statement would be that if you ever need to remove it, you can't, but isn't that the idea behind sealant? To seal something and not become unsealed?
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
Why? I've used it. I didn't have any problems applying it, and once it's applied, it seems to last forever. I guess the downside to that last statement would be that if you ever need to remove it, you can't, but isn't that the idea behind sealant? To seal something and not become unsealed?
If you are going to "QUOTE" me please make sure it is in context.

I said: "LEXEL is a horrible sealant to use. be sure to get a FRESH tube and place in in hot water to heat up before use and then it's more user friendly."

See how what I actually said sounds compared to the partial quote you used sounds???

MOST places do not rotate stock and LEXEL is not commonly used so that is why I said what I said.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #12
cmikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
If you are going to "QUOTE" me please make sure it is in context.

I said: "LEXEL is a horrible sealant to use. be sure to get a FRESH tube and place in in hot water to heat up before use and then it's more user friendly."

See how what I actually said sounds compared to the partial quote you used sounds???

MOST places do not rotate stock and LEXEL is not commonly used so that is why I said what I said.
Panties all up in a wad? Sensitive much? Repeating the same sentence does not add clarification, it just repeats the sentence. Repeating the same sentence does not add clarification, it just repeats the sentence. Do you see what I did there? I repeated the sentence. Is it clearer now? No, it's not.

I quoted you sufficiently to receive some clarification in the final paragraph of your reply.

The fact that it needs to be placed in hot water does not make it a horrible sealant. Application temperature of any sealant is specified on the label. A temperature range or optimum application temperature for every sealant on the market is specified on the label. Maybe you have been using it outside of its specified temperature range. That still doesn't make it a horrible sealant. It just means you misused the product.

Rotating old stock or lack of rotation is also not unique to Lexel. Standard caulk also goes bad after sitting on the shelf too long. I guess that makes all caulk horrible because you might get an old tube if you aren't paying attention when you make your purchase and just grab the first tube you see without checking for dates or date codes. Dust on the tube might also be a clue that the tube you just grabbed is older than the shiny clean tubes at the back of the shelf.

I've used Lexel on several projects and never had a problem. I think I've discovered why you think Lexel is horrible. It appears to be user error. You're welcome.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #13
Cummins12V98

Not hardly. Professional in the trades for 35 years. I can make any caulking look good but that is not something the average DIY can.

Hope you feel better now.