Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
hayman62

How to switch on/off switch to dimmer?

Hello Folks,
Looking for some help with changing out our on/off switch to a dimmer switch on our 2019 Mobile Suite 40KSSBR. The 5 puck lights over our home theater seating are quite bright at night and would like to make them adjustable if possible? Any help with the change out procedure would be greatly appreciated.
We called the factory to get some help, but could never seem to speak with anyone who had the knowledge to help us out! Anyone with prior experience please advise.
Many Thanks

hayman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #2
Notanlines

Daniel, you will need to pull the toggle switch out, cut and tape the wires, then shop for your 12 volt dimmer switch that will fit in the same space. Keep in mind that those 5 LED's you're using aren't built for dimmer use. They may not last very long. Contact these people for more detailed help: https://www.commandelectronics.com/

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
porthole

Using the dimmer may get you a result you don’t want, flickering at the lower levels.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Roam America

Same coach, same year. My bedroom lights flickered when dimmed down to the lower setting. But I also had a problem of lights going bad. After talking to Command Electronics they sent me replacement “bulbs” for my entire coach and I am replacing them as needed. They had a bad batch from their supplier. One thing I did do was replace all of the bedroom lights at the same time. The replacement bulbs did not flicker whatsoever; none of them did.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam America View Post
Same coach, same year. My bedroom lights flickered when dimmed down to the lower setting. But I also had a problem of lights going bad. After talking to Command Electronics they sent me replacement “bulbs” for my entire coach and I am replacing them as needed. They had a bad batch from their supplier. One thing I did do was replace all of the bedroom lights at the same time. The replacement bulbs did not flicker whatsoever; none of them did.

Command sent me 70 lights.
I’ve been replacing as I go and when I do, I do the all the lights on the circuit.

I have also been using the Wago lever connectors when replacing.

That worked out good with the connectors, on this trip I replaced previously replaced lights in the front bath and the lights over the island.

3 of the just replaced 8 units have one LED out or flickering on the board.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
hayman62

Thanks everyone for the advise,
I will reach out to command electronics to see if they can help me with our dilemma. We too have had multiple puck lights go out on us both the large and the smaller lights. I'm not sure how expensive the replacement puck lights are with command, but from DRV I thought I was re-buying our coach again! LOL I think we paid over $200 for 8 replacement lights, I hate to know how much 70 new lights cost that 1 fellow on this forum. I will let you all know how I make out, and if anyone wishes to make the same change I will post my findings for others to use.
Sincerely,
Dan & Mary
hayman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
Notanlines

Dan, Command people also sent us 64 new LED lights to replace the existing. Easy peezy, the fixture comes off the ceiling with three screws, remove wire nuts, clip new LED in the fixture and reverse the actions. I just replace one when it starts to flicker badly.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
CHAPS2018

I have successfully installed this dimmer with LED lights with no flickering. I also noticed a buddy's 2021 Grand Design has it built in. As noted in on the page below, you have to have access to the ground AND power wires at the switch location. You can remove yours and see what is behind the wall. Most switches break the 12v line with a bunch of wires connected behind the wall (ie, grounds nearby). I have been using this dimmer for a few years and it performs as expected.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #9
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Using the dimmer may get you a result you don’t want, flickering at the lower levels.
Or flickering at all levels
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #10
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Dan, Command people also sent us 64 new LED lights to replace the existing. Easy peezy, the fixture comes off the ceiling with three screws, remove wire nuts, clip new LED in the fixture and reverse the actions. I just replace one when it starts to flicker badly.
Best I could get from Command was $5 a board. I’ve replaced 17 so far. Only lost one in the last 6 months and no repeat offenders yet.
My bedroom lights on the dimmer switch flicker slightly even on the brightest setting when the fantastic fan is on in the bathroom. The living room lights on the dimmer sometimes won’t turn all the way off.
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Or flickering at all levels
Well there is that ........

Then we have the new replacements that are either going bad or have 1 or 2 of the 8 LEd's out when you first turn them on

2020 F-450