Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #21
TaoJones

Hotspot option

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMag View Post
Thanks for all the info folks. Looks like i will go with a cell hotspot for now. We are usually not far from "the grid". Maybe a signal booster will help? I dont want to spend 100/mo for a service i may use twice a month.
Going with a cell phone hotspot is not a bad idea, TMag, especially if you don't have large data needs. I did that six years ago and went with Verizon, since it seemed to have a wider footprint in the western US than AT&T or others.

My major complaints with Verizon's MiFi were that, 1) I had to sign a contract with Verizon for two years and, 2) the skimpy 5 GB of data for (IIRC) about $50/mo. in addition to my monthly Verizon cell phone bill. They say that 5 GB is enough for about 60 hours of internet use per month, but I found it astonishing how quickly I burned up my tiny daily allotment of 1/30 of that 5 GB total.

In addition, I thought the extortionate charge for anything in excess of 5 GB in one month was gouging at its finest. (Good old American capitalism, right? ).

At any rate, I only needed the Hotspot option when I was boondocking in Arizona for 4-6 months each winter, so I couldn't wait for my two year servitude to Verizon to expire and I could cancel. There's no doubt, though, that for the brief time period each year when I relied on the Hotspot, it was worth it to me.

Not to be overlooked, as well, is the option of visiting a local library or a McDonald's or Starbucks and using their free WiFi. I've done that often since ditching Verizon, and except for contracting Covid-19 in the Quartzsite library a year ago, it worked well for me.

TJ

Old 02-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #22
TMag

GOT THE RONA?!?! Damn that was a costly visit to the Library,....

We use it for streaming only when using the RV, thats been every weekend lately. But its our new shinny toy. Im cautious to enter into any new contacts at this point. My phone plan includes a hotspot. We used that last weekend with limited results. Lots of "loading" and waiting during the movie. The kids already have a micro attention span and this didnt help. On our second night it didnt work at all. This weekend we are dusting off the DVDs and playing cards. Back to some good ole family time with out so much picturebox

TMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #23
TaoJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMag View Post
GOT THE RONA?!?! Damn that was a costly visit to the Library,....

We use it for streaming only when using the RV, thats been every weekend lately. But its our new shinny toy. Im cautious to enter into any new contacts at this point. My phone plan includes a hotspot. We used that last weekend with limited results. Lots of "loading" and waiting during the movie. The kids already have a micro attention span and this didnt help. On our second night it didnt work at all. This weekend we are dusting off the DVDs and playing cards. Back to some good ole family time with out so much picturebox
Heh . . . I think you couldn't have had it work out any better if you'd sabotaged it yourself, TMag!

TJ