Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
Tenbrooks

Lost Front Section of Underbelly Insulation

On a recent trip (Aug., 2020) we made from Texas to Montana we lost the front section of the underbelly plastic sheathing and all the insulation in that area on our 2019 40KSSB4. I found the problem at the first diesel fill up we made somewhere past Wichita Falls, TX when I discovered insulation wrapped around the front landing gear. Problem was attributed to the fact that DRV doesn't use washers when installing the sheathing panels under the wool insulation which will tear through the plastic sheathing. They merely use a screw with a small flange on the screw. On our return trip we stopped at Rolling Retreats and had them repair the lost insulation. They also removed all the screws holding the underbelly sheathing strips and replaced them with larger screws + washers. They told us, this practice is a routine action they take for all new DRV's they sell. How was I to know? You may want to look at the underbelly of your rig and see if the screws are pulling through the plastic sheathing sections. We were lucky to find the problem so fast and have RR fix it.

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4
Tenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

Really sad because screws are readily available with 1/2" diameter washers. Purely "EL CHEAPO" installation.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
Rontravelon

I lost my front section plus am losing the next section for other reasons. My rig is a 2009 model and needs an entire new underbelly. Does anyone know where I can get the plastic sheathing or somewhere I can get it replaced in TX or OK?
Rontravelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
Tenbrooks

Underbelly sheathing

Contact Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK. 580-821-0947
The contact there is Slade (owner). They can replace the entire underbelly plastic sheathing and replace worn insulation if needed. They will also install the new sheathing with larger screws and washers to eliminate the sheathing from tearing thru the smaller screws used by DRV.
2019 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4
Tenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Rontravelon

Thanks much. I'll contact Slade.
Rontravelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
Larry drv 7*3

11/16/2020 Just purchased 2009 Elite 36 TK3 in Nashville
Heading to Michigan Just north of Louisville, KY belly forward of axles on curb side dropped and dragged a ways on xway. I strapped and tied up and Doubled back 1.5 hours to Customer First RV in Memphis, IN.
Oops, did not inspect when took delivery and had read on forum BUT did not think IT WOULD HAPPEN TO ME
Larry drv 7*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Larry drv 7*3

Updated after inspection, entire belly needs repair or replacement.
It appears road debris, (covered by insurance) i believe a tire shredded in opposing traffic, flew under rv, dragged, split and shredded under belly several places under entire 5ver, worse forward of axle but exited rear of wheels curb side damaging wheel lip attachment to slide skirting
Larry drv 7*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
bigbird272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbrooks View Post
On a recent trip (Aug., 2020) we made from Texas to Montana we lost the front section of the underbelly plastic sheathing and all the insulation in that area on our 2019 40KSSB4. I found the problem at the first diesel fill up we made somewhere past Wichita Falls, TX when I discovered insulation wrapped around the front landing gear. Problem was attributed to the fact that DRV doesn't use washers when installing the sheathing panels under the wool insulation which will tear through the plastic sheathing. They merely use a screw with a small flange on the screw. On our return trip we stopped at Rolling Retreats and had them repair the lost insulation. They also removed all the screws holding the underbelly sheathing strips and replaced them with larger screws + washers. They told us, this practice is a routine action they take for all new DRV's they sell. How was I to know? You may want to look at the underbelly of your rig and see if the screws are pulling through the plastic sheathing sections. We were lucky to find the problem so fast and have RR fix it.
My bottom fell down first trip in rain, same reason. Rain got thrown up from tires. There are gaps into the basement which have since been caulked. Can’t believe they assemble them that way. Not impressed.

bigbird272 is offline   Reply With Quote