Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
Rad tech traveler

Hi!! Need Advice

I’m looking to purchase a 5th wheel, as I will be living in one and would like advice on best brands for quality construction and insulation. I was told, by a sales person the dual pane windows aren’t worth the money.... thoughts?

Rad tech traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
OneReallyOldGuy

The best advice I can offer is don’t listen to salespeople.
Phil

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Notanlines

Danita, you will need to give us a little information, like where you plan to use this RV (part of the country) how big are you going to require (married, 7 kids, 2 dogs, and 3 in-laws) etc. Can we assume (there's that word) that you are going to buy your RV first and the tow vehicle second? Please tell us yes.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Rad tech traveler

Yes, I’m buying trailer first. I want plenty of power to accommodate pulling that much weight. I live in Montana, and just started traveling for work last fall. I may have jobs in many different areas/climates but hopefully not to the extreme. I’m currently living in a 24’ older Cougar bumper pull, and it’s just my dog and me.... although she’s quite large, a rottie. So I do want something with a little more room.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #5
kb0zke

"...would like advice on best brands for quality construction and insulation." DRV has more insulation than most others and has a good reputation for quality (at least prior to Thor taking them over). That also tells you that they are going to be heavy. You will need to have a dually for any DRV. An F350-class might work for the smaller ones, but you will get into the F450-class fairly quickly.

Another well-respected brand is New Horizons. Again, they are heavy. Quality always is.

Will you be buying new or used? If your current truck isn't up to the job (or you just need to make a change) you can either buy the trailer first, then get a truck that is big enough to SAFELY handle the trailer or you can just work with the numbers of the heaviest trailer you are looking at and buy the truck that suits that load.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Rad tech traveler

Thank you for the information! I’m still contemplating on the best fit for me. The DVR is awesome but probably a little pricey for me at this point. I appreciate your post though. Thank you.

Tags
5th wheel brands, insulation, windows