Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #21
wingnut60
Site Team

Tetons were for many years considered the 'Cadillac' of fifth wheels trailers, and being built in Casper, WY, they knew how to insulate them. Biggest drawback, they were VERY heavy for length and early duallys were hard-pressed to handle them. I believe they went out of business in the 2008 downturn, or maybe earlier. Things just happen. I saw a lot of them being used for housing in the oilfields up in Wyoming, and many wintered in them.
As Glenn has said, they are well built, but if you are concerned about weight, then they aren't for you.
There probably weren't enough Domanis built to have a real following, or a forum that can be of real help in evaluating a used one. And, they were an odd design for the time--there was also one from Canada? that had an 'aerodynamic' look that also fizzled. Sometimes odd is not successful, but doesn't mean it won't be a good unit.
The real choice is yours in whatever you end up with--used units can have problems no matter how nice they look--or they can be a great buy.
Cheers...
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #22
GlennWest

Don't misunderstand my post. I am no way downing DRV. I do believe it is the best mass produced unit on the market today. Tetons are a grade above a DRV. They cost more than DRV. To compare a unit today to Teton, you will have to look to custom build such as New Horizons. They actually incorporated some of the features of the Tetons in their units. They are priced in line with Teton also. And yes, it is a load with my 2012 3500 towing 40' (brochure says 39 but measures closer to 40) Teton. My comes across scales just shy on 21k. Our 2003 looks new. That statement shows its quality.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #23
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest View Post
. . . To compare a unit today to Teton, you will have to look to custom build such as New Horizons. They actually incorporated some of the features of the Tetons in their units. They are priced in line with Teton also. And yes, it is a load with my 2012 3500 towing 40' (brochure says 39 but measures closer to 40) Teton. My comes across scales just shy on 21k. Our 2003 looks new. That statement shows its quality.
Yes, that statement DOES say a lot! That "condition after 7 years" is what caught my wife's eye on the Domani. She felt it is a " good value" in terms of what you would be getting for the dollars spent, compared to a number of other 7 year old units we saw.

However, the dealership was unwilling to make a good deal, when we discovered on close examination some ill-advised things the previous owner (or a dealer or maybe THIS dealer) had done: the Darco belly seaking had been foolishly and roughly cut in places in the past, presumably to make repairs to things above the Darco, and had not been resealed, so the chassis was open to the elements and critters, and the remaining Arco hanging down would quickly be torn off at highway speed. The china toilet had been replaced by a cheap plastic one that was just plain unacceptable. The roof joints were still sealed, but needing fresh sealing. There was only one AC unit in the ducted system, but there was a proper standard second location already prepped, wired, and temporarily capped for easy installaiton of the 2nd AC. And of course, the original tires needed replacing.

We wanted these items corrected, and were willing to negotiate a fair price that included the corrections, and a 2-day pre-acceptance "test" time period at the dealership where the 5th wheel would be connected to shorepower and water, so that we could ensure that all systems were working and there were no leaks.

The sales person's response to these requests was pretty lukewarm at best. She evidently wanted a quick sale that morning with no issues to follow up on. The dealership did ok on the quoted cost of the 2nd AC unit, but only after we corrected their choice of a cheap unit to a quality & energy efficient unit. On everything else, it sounded to us like it was going to be like pulling teeth to get everything done or to get it done RIGHT, or to get it done at a sensible price (e.g. the sales person quoted $800 to replace the Darco in its entirety versus even considering whether the middle section, where the holes were, could simply be replaced without doing the whole chassis, and the tire quote for cheap tires was several hundred dollars higher than for the BEST tires from a local tire dealer). So, we stopped our efforts to make a deal, because the process just wasn't pleasant, and the dealer was unwilling to negotiate anything.

We'll look some more, but will likely wait now a bit as my wife is a key member of the team opening a new location for her employer, and the next 6 weeks are going to be incredibly busy and stressful for her.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #24
wanaBretiered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Yes, I am trying to FIND a Carriage Domani forum with info. I think I found one now, but will need to go through the registration process there to even view the threads at all. I submitted my registration yesterday and no confirmation yet.

The attractions of the Domani include that it uses basically the same construction as the DRV, but just a bit thinner on wall thickness and thus R factor.

Jim G
There is a Carrige lifestyle forum with exactly what you are looking for.
http://www.carriage-lifestyle-owners.com/portal.php
you will have to make a profile.
I love my Cameo 32 FWS. Pulls easily with my 2006 F250. No issues with the Smokies Mts, easy pull.
Oh and it is for sale LOL. I moved up to a 36 foot Elite.
I would never pull any Carrige with a F150 or equivalent. 250 or better.
wanaBretiered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #25
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaBretiered View Post
There is a Carrige lifestyle forum with exactly what you are looking for.
http://www.carriage-lifestyle-owners.com/portal.php
you will have to make a profile.
I love my Cameo 32 FWS. Pulls easily with my 2006 F250. No issues with the Smokies Mts, easy pull.
Oh and it is for sale LOL. I moved up to a 36 foot Elite.
I would never pull any Carrige with a F150 or equivalent. 250 or better.
yes and that is a closed forum.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #26
wingnut60
Site Team

Is this the one you are looking at?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rvd/5261211525.html
Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #27
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Is this the one you are looking at?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rvd/5261211525.html
No, that one is in Dallas, not Austin. It is priced at the high end for Domani's. It is also heavier than the Model 300 we were looking at in Austin - around 800 to 1000 lb more as I recall.

Jim G
Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #28
wingnut60
Site Team

What's a 1000lbs when you were originally looking at the Traditon?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
JimGnitecki

Quote:
What's a 1000lbs when you were originally looking at the Traditon?
That extra 1000 lb happens to be at right about the break point between needing a 6.2 to 6.4 liter gas with 4.3 gearing to needing a diesel. Avoiding the need for the diesel would be a notable plus.

In addition, BOTH the lighter and the heavier Domani models all have a GVWR of 11,500, so the heavier ones limit your net carrying capacity more.

Jim G
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #30
wingnut60
Site Team

How long have you been searching/researching for a fiver?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
JimGnitecki

Quote:
How long have you been searching/researching for a fiver?
Around 4 to 5 weeks or so. If we find something we both like and can afford, it would be the 4th RV we have ever bought, and the experience accumulated on the previous 3 has been a real plus in our research.

I wish that RVs were constructed more like all-aluminum horse trailers are. Such trailers:

- Never rust or delaminate or fade

- Are much lower frontal cross-sections ( at least 2 feet lower than a 5th wheel RV), so way less wind resistance and far more stable when towing

- Weigh a LOT less (They have GVWRs ranging from 13k to 20k, because horses are heavy (4 horses will weigh 4000 to 7000 lb depending on breed), but UNLOADED a 40 footer (4 horse plus living quarters trailer) weighs 9000 lb to 11,500 lb with living quarters (6000 to 6500 lb without living quarters)

- Require a less heavy duty tow vehicle (only of course when not hauling horses, that is! )

- Have lifetime aluminum roofs instead of rubber roofs that need constant maintenance and have limited lifetimes

- Have torsion suspension, which is both very gentle in comparison to leaf springs, and also provides independent suspension at each wheel

- Can act as an easy toyhauler too, as the floor height is typically only 18 inches above the pavement, and the horse ramp on the rear is an EASY climb for a Harley

- And yes, they have slides these days as well, although typically only one slide and typically only up to 16 feet long

- If ordered withOUT the horse paraphernalia (500 lb of rubber floor mats, several hundred lb of stall dividers, mangers, and saddle racks), they weigh even less than the above figures

- All the horse room behind the living quarters, which is also often already insulated, air conditioned, and has finished interior walls and lights and many windows, can be used easily for a 2nd bedroom, extra closets, extra storage, toyhauler space, etc.

- They seem to hold their value long-term much better than RVs do.

Unfortunately, I see at least a few challenges with them too.

For one thing, we would not realistically be able to get financed on a new one with our total income and credit score, and buying a used one that has the AC and lighting in the horse section and in which the horse stuff could be removed easily (without butchering the trailer interior) would be hard. Maybe some day. I could see one of those being a lifetime solution if you spec'ed it correctly from the factory. Some of the interiors are just gorgeous. Real quality, not just consumer flash.

Secondly, My wife does not like them as much though. She likes the multiple slides and other features of the "consumer" grade RVs, even though she knows the "bones" of them are pretty crappy compared to the way horse trailers are constructed.

Thirdly, the resale market is much smaller than the resale RV market - or at least I THINK it is - which means harder to sell if you later want something different.

Jim G
Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #32
wingnut60
Site Team

Jim,
Consider that horse trailers weigh a lot less because not many are insulated, dont' have plumbing and beds/TVs for the horses...not having a front BR or LR can do a lot for cross-sectional frontage--'course, there ain't much living area unless you bed down in the stalls.
Now, there are some I have seen when staying in Vegas that have just about EVERYTHING you want--for somewhere north of $200K... and pulled by a MDT or HDT.
Conversely, I haven't ever seen a horse in a conventional fifth wheel--maybe they ought to consider that?
Joe
Old 10-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #33
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Jim,
Consider that horse trailers weigh a lot less because not many are insulated, dont' have plumbing and beds/TVs for the horses...not having a front BR or LR can do a lot for cross-sectional frontage--'course, there ain't much living area unless you bed down in the stalls.
Now, there are some I have seen when staying in Vegas that have just about EVERYTHING you want--for somewhere north of $200K... and pulled by a MDT or HDT.
Conversely, I haven't ever seen a horse in a conventional fifth wheel--maybe they ought to consider that?
Joe
Wingnut60, I'm afraid you are showing your lack of knowledge of horse trailers.

There are PLENTY of horse trailers with fully insulated and plumbed living quarters, separated from the horse section. In fact, many of them have the horse section ALSO fully insulated and air conditioned, and sometimes also plumbed, as people who haul show horses want the animals completely comfortable and unstressed (there is an entire book written on choosing a horse trailer).

EVERY horse trailer that has living quarters has a front bedroom just like a 5th wheel RV does, but much lower headroom because of the lower overall trailer height.

The living rooms are narrower than most fivers, because only one slide, but many are also much better quality. Check out a Lakota Big Horn, for an example of a moderately priced one - About $75k to $90k brand new with typical dealer discount, so not "north of $200k", and definitely no need for an MDT since it weighs about 11,500 WITH the living quarters, BEFORE you yank out the horse stuff in the rear.

As for putting a horse into a conventional 5th wheel: the horse's weight and movement during travel would turn a typical consumer 5th wheel into shredded junk very quickly. Like I said, horse trailers are built SOLID.

Examples of the good brands, going up in price, are Lakota, Featherlite, Hart, and Bloomer.

Check them out. You might be surprised at what you see and learn.

Jim G
Old 10-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #34
wingnut60
Site Team

Guess a little frivolity missed the point. I have been around plenty of the living quarter horse trailers--and seen big screen TVs that would shame a media room.
I give up...
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #35
JimGnitecki

Quote:
... I give up...
Yeah, you should. You have been nothing but a discouragement to me in most of your comments on my threads, and no real help. Sorry if my presence threatens you somehow. It shouldn't.

Jim G
Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #36
wingnut60
Site Team

I sincerely apologize and hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #37
billr

Jim

I too wish you luck in your search I said before I'm sure you are armed with the research skills and bsckground needed to be successful

I'm sure no one is threatened by your presence here especially Joe.

I'm sure he has tried his best to help you with your questions but if like myself he is a tad frustrated with the wordy posts and expertise yet still wondering why no one is answering your questions to your satisfaction.

So not too offend you I will let someone else join in

Only you know what you like, want, can afford, tow etc.
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #38
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Yeah, you should. You have been nothing but a discouragement to me in most of your comments on my threads, and no real help. Sorry if my presence threatens you somehow. It shouldn't.

Jim G

Jim,

You didn't used to be Junkman on the SOITC board did you?

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #39
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
Jim,

You didn't used to be Junkman on the SOITC board did you?

Joe
No. I don't hide behind screen names.

Jim G
Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #40
porkchop

I really think you should buy something other than the Tradition, because it's easy to tell you will never be satisfied. You seem fixated on minor things that DO NOT MATTER in the long run and keep trying to compare it to Mobile Suites and other better built units. They ARE NOT the same.

Tradition is not wide bodied, does not have the insulation values, does not have a boxed frame, (it's an I beam) and much, much more. That's why it sells for so much less.

I think you would be happier in a horse trailer. Expecially with the budgetconstraints you keep mentioning.

Bye!

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote