Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Stevencoles

Unhappy GE convection micro confusion...

We have a GE Profile model PVM 1790SR1SS micro covection oven obviously designed by rocket scientists. The instructions for operating the microwave and its operation are ok, but when you get to the covection and other combo features, it is really confusing with multiple steps, sequencing and buttons to get things to supposedly work. Our biggest issue is that when using the oven as an oven it does not appear that it possible to have it cook without the convection feature? If by chance someone has figured out if that is possible, would appreciate a tip on how to do it. Ultimately we have pretty much given up on trying to cook anything in the oven and have a very expensive microwave! The way the unit is mounted also makes it hard to remove hot food, especially anything that has any weight to it. If you are shopping and this unit is an option, would NOT recommend it. If you are a rocket scientist and have any tips on operation, please pass them along.

Stevencoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Joezilla

We have the same oven and use it often. The oven part will not work without convection as convection is the way it cooks the food--convections cooks by a fan moving hot air around your food. I'm not sure what your confusion is but would love to help you learn to love your oven as we do. I have not used the combination settings much--I either use it as a microwave or cook in it as a convection oven. When cooking with convection, always put in one of the wire racks. I don't find that it cooks anything more quickly but it sure does cook things more evenly. Cookies come out great as the are never burned on the bottom, etc. (Joezilla's wife)

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
hitchup

We've been using the GE's M/C in Suites since 2006. For me, I either bake by pushing Convection Button or Microwave by hitting time and/or 30sec button. Never used both together.
Baking Banana Bread that takes longer than 1hr will sometimes shut the oven off early, but I just restart for the last 5mins.
Otherwise, we've had zero issues, only blown inside light. While those with upgraded Advantium have had the electron (?) go out in the earlier Suites.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
porkchop

I will claim never to of said it, but my wife is somewhat tech challenged. It took her all of 15 minutes to figure out how to operate the convection oven. It is a convection oven/microwave. Not a regular oven. Can only cook as designed.
Everything she cooks is yummy, and I'm a wizard at the micro part. Give it a chance. You will like it.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covection, general electric, microwave, oven