Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Richard K

How do I remove the Microwave?

New to this forum and would appreciate some help.
We have a 2007 Everest 295T with a Dometic microwave. Last season in preparation for a trip I plugged the trailer in so the refer would cool and the batteries would charge. Went into the trailer the next day and found the microwave running and could not shut it off. I unplugged it, let it sit and checked it later and it's dead. I need to replace it.
I looked at the installation instructions and it appears to just slide onto the mounting bracket but I can't budge it.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Best I can do on this is to tell you to look around carefully underneath and on both sides for hidden screws/bolts. May be hidden behind wookwork. And it might just be held in by wood strips. These things can be hard to figure out, but remember that it got in there somehow, they did not build the trailer around it even if it looks that way.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
rotaxman

Microwave

Don't know how yours is installed but if it has a facia board above the unit you will probably have to remove that board.

You should see some wood structure above the microwave which will have some screw that hold the microwave up. Remove the screws being careful to hold the front of the microwave up. When you get the screws out you should be able to drop the front of the microwave down and lift it up slightly and remove it straight out forward.

I know that the one in my Mobile Suite sets on a wall mount in the back and is lifted up and screwed to the wood structure I mentioned above.

Hope this is of some help.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Richard K

Thanks for the replies. I found the original installation instructions that show a rear mounted bracket. Says to angle it onto the bracket and then lift up the front of the unit, then screw in two long slot headed screw which are under the plastic grill above the door. I removed the grill and the screws but it won't budge and there are no screws into the cabinet above. Guess I'll give up and use a counter top unit.[/img]
Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Pat L.

Rich,
Call Dometic. They should be able to guide you to removal and install.
Pat
Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Richard K

I called them and all they did was email me a pdf file with installation instructions. Following the instrutions in reverse order it won't budge.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Did you actually remove the 2 long bolts? In most cases don't need to do much of anything to the actual microwave. The back mounting panel kind of holds the unit from the back to keep it up next to the wall and the two long bolts drop down through the cabinet in the front. In one unit they(the trailer mfg) installed a new wood panel to the bottom of the cabinet floor to hide the bolt heads. They have to be there as that is the only way to keep the micro attached properly by most all instructions.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Richard K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit
Did you actually remove the 2 long bolts? In most cases don't need to do much of anything to the actual microwave. The back mounting panel kind of holds the unit from the back to keep it up next to the wall and the two long bolts drop down through the cabinet in the front. In one unit they(the trailer mfg) installed a new wood panel to the bottom of the cabinet floor to hide the bolt heads. They have to be there as that is the only way to keep the micro attached properly by most all instructions.
Can't find any screws/bolts comming down from the top nor do the installation instructions show them. The bolts they show (and the ones I removed) are behind the plastic grill and go from front to back into the L shaped mounting bracket that is attached to the wall. After opening the box on the new one I have to go back to Camping World with it. They sold me a countertop model instead of the one you can mount. I'd prefer to get it done myself since the nearest store is 100 miles away and they are booked for the next 6 weeks.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Wow Rich, I have helped install probably 6 or 7 of these and a few for myself and everyone has had 2 long bolts, maybe 3 or4 inches that drop down from the cabinet above the microwave. That is what will support the unit from falling down when items are place inside. Here is a generic mounting instructions and you can see the self aligning 3 inch bolts that drop down.
http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...@gmail.com</a>
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Richard K

Quote:
Wow Rich, I have helped install probably 6 or 7 of these and a few for myself and everyone has had 2 long bolts, maybe 3 or4 inches that drop down from the cabinet above the microwave. That is what will support the unit from falling down when items are place inside. Here is a generic mounting instructions and you can see the self aligning 3 inch bolts that drop down.
http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...@gmail.com</a>
Thanks for the reply and the link. Wish mine was that easy. There are no bolts/screws comming down through cabinet into the top of the unit. (all of the units I've installed/removed in houses have had them but not the one in my 5th wheel) There is no false bottom in the cabinet to conceal them either. I can stick my finger down the power supply hole in the cabinet and feel the top of the microwave. There's maybe a one inch gap between the bottom of the cabinet and the top of the microwave.
The schematic shows an L shaped bracket mounted to the wall and two slot headed "mounting rods" going from front to back into the vertical leg of the bracket. I've unscrewed the mounting rods but the unit won't budge.
I've got to take the unit I bought back to Camping World anyway since they gave me a countertop unit instead of the over the range model.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Stripit

Well ya got me, we all know it can't be held there by magic, somehow it is being supported and if the means of locking it in are removed by you, it should fall out. Any way to run a piece of metal, like a thin hack saw blade between the cabinet and top of the micro to make sure there is nothing there? A bright flash light and a thin pry bar to ever so slightly move one or the other to allow a eyeball look? I have a hard time believing that it is suspended and held in place all by the back wall. This is going to be fun isn't it, just a thought, there isn't a horizontal bolt going from the sides are there? The cabinets that are on either side of the micro?
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Richard K

Quote:
Well ya got me, we all know it can't be held there by magic, somehow it is being supported and if the means of locking it in are removed by you, it should fall out. Any way to run a piece of metal, like a thin hack saw blade between the cabinet and top of the micro to make sure there is nothing there? A bright flash light and a thin pry bar to ever so slightly move one or the other to allow a eyeball look? I have a hard time believing that it is suspended and held in place all by the back wall. This is going to be fun isn't it, just a thought, there isn't a horizontal bolt going from the sides are there? The cabinets that are on either side of the micro?
No bolts on the sides. The mounting bracket (per the diagram) is shaped like an inverted L. The vertical leg is bolted to the back wall and a recess on top of the microwave slips over the horizontal leg. Lots of instructions on how to mount it but none on how to un-install.

Thanks for trying to help.

Rich
Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Stripit

What brand are we dealing with, I'll go to the web site and see, as I've never seen a mounting like that. I could see how it might work in some applications. Don't give up yet!!!
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Richard K

Quote:
What brand are we dealing with, I'll go to the web site and see, as I've never seen a mounting like that. I could see how it might work in some applications. Don't give up yet!!!
It's a Dometic. I emailed them with the same question and all they did was send me a PDF file with installation instructions that provided no help.

I went to Camping World and bought a new one, thinking I could figure out removal by looking at the replacement brackets The clerk assured me I was getting the over-the-range model but they gave me the counter top version. I need to return it but it's a 200 mile round trip and I wanted to make sure I could get the old one out before I exchanged it.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
rotaxman

Dometic

Richard and Stacey,

I've spent several hours the last two days trying to find out something on the Dometic website. I have not been able to locate any installation instructions for any of their junk.

I'm at wits end I just flat hate anything Dometic they are a very very poorly run company that produces nothing but junk.

Sorry Richard I'm like Stacey wish you were closer I'd like to see how the idiots at Dometic designed the mounting system.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
vegas

dometic microwave

We have an open road 5th wheel and have the same problem with the removal of the same microwave.
vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
vegas

OMG I did it I got my microwave out. of course had to take of the front grille and then unloosen the 2 long bolts one on each side and then I dropped it down and took it out. I leaarn something new every day.
vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #18
Phoenix@54

Hello
We were able to remove our dometic microwave quite easily. We pulled from the grill above the microwave door and there’s a black piece with a silver screw on each side. Loosen them and the microwave comes off easily.

Phoenix@54 is offline   Reply With Quote