Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Pat L.

Extended Service Plan

Has anyone ever used Good Sam's Extended Service Plan for their units and or tow vehicle?

Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Motor31

Yes I have. Like any other plan is has good and bad points to it. The good is they do pay and make it easy for the service folks to get the job done as long as you follow the instructions. The bad is they set prices on their own that may mean you pay more than the basic deductible.

If you have to replace the cooling plant on the refrigerator it will be money well spent for the plan. That is the main reason I have it. I had to get a new cooling plant in the fridge about a year ago and if I had to pay for it out of pocket it would have been well over $2000.00 instead of the deductible plus part of the shipping.

Given the way that the parent company is acting I would not buy a multi year coverage. I do not count on them being that stable a company. I also do not use camping world for anything unless they are the only resource available.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Pat L.

Mike,
Do you have any input to the extended service plan for the trucks? Mine has run out of warranty and a 100.00 a month for a ESP is better than a large truck payment. Anyones input would be greatly appreciated.
Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Motor31

Nope didn't look at the truck extended plan as our tow vehicle is not in their category since we use a class 8 and it's over 10 years old. Frankly, given the reliability and condition of the tow vehicle it would have been a waste of money for us. I do have towing service through good sam for it and the RV but that's it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
rjohnsonnm

My ESP is running out in August. I asked the Director of service at one of the Ford dealers in Albq during one of my monthly visits to get the piece of junk 6.0L fixed and he said you can't get a second ESP from Ford, you have to go with an aftermarket plan. While he wouldn't advise me of a particular plan, he said he would let me know if a plan I am contemplating has given them any problems. These aftermarket plans have a tendency to fold, especially during these economic times, but with this 6.0L junker I wouldn't be without it. I assume that's what your F350 has. Although the work order never states what the repair costs, I estimate my 6.0L has had at least 6-8 thousand dollars of repairs. The ESP cost $2500, so I've come out pretty good on it. Anybody heard anything about the new 6.7L?
2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
wandrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnsonnm
Anybody heard anything about the new 6.7L?
I'm driving one and couldn't be more pleased, particularly after suffering through about $20,000 in repairs on a 2004 F-450 6.0 L without an ESP. :x The new 6.7 L appears to be extremely reliable, and Ford is jumping all over any faults that do come up. It looks like Ford has a definite winner with this new engine. By the way, you can see LOTS of very knowledgeable discussion about the engine and truck and ESP's as well at http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/ .

Fulltiming in a 2004 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #1201
towed by a 2011 F-350 6.7 L diesel.
wandrr is offline   Reply With Quote