Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #21
RodeWorthy

Mike, not sure who you are addressing your remarks to. For me, there is no 'hunting' or continuous shifting. The transmission will eventually drop down out of 6th gear if the grade is steep enough to warrant it. It will usually stay there until the grade has been cleared. If there is a signifcant grade or series of grades it is a simple matter of enabling tow/haul mode which keeps the transmission out of 6th gear. Speed retardation on the downgrade is greatly enhanced in this mode as well. Engine and transmission temps are nominal. Transmission temperature monitoring is a stock item and reported through the Driver Information Center. I believe this method is optimum for my setup and the speed I drive. Staying low in the power band saves fuel at the same time the engine is operating near its peak torque. The truck is responsive and I am satisfied with the fuel mileage.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #22
GlennWest

do you boon dock a lot? Noticed those solar panels and battery pak.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
RodeWorthy

Solar System and Boondocking

Glenn,
The solar panels and controller are new this year. The batteries and inverter were optional factory install. We did some boondocking last winter (pre-solar install) in the SW and we enjoyed it. Thought we would enjoy it even more with less dependency on generator(s). We have not given it an extended test yet but I believe our limitation, if there is one, will be battery capacity. We will return to AZ this winter and plan to test the system extensively while boondocking. We will also enjoy full hookups when we want to do that. We don't boondock a great deal. We live in the East and there is less opportunity for that than in the Southwest. Most use we get around here is keeping our batteries charged while the rig is in storage. It was a fun project. I did all the work myself and learned a lot.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote