Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
Suitedreams2

Electrical problem

Electrical issues
Hi, Two weeks ago I lost all power to my Mobile Suite. We determined that there was power coming into the junction box where the cord comes in to rv, but no power at the panel inside. After speaking with DRV, they suggested that the transfer switch was bad. I ordered a new one, switched it out, and power was restored. This lasted for 6 days and again, we lost power. I attempted to bypass the transfer switch by determining the line that feeds the switch, and the line going into the panel, and connected the two. This did not work, not sure why, unless this was not the wire going to the panel. So, we ended up running a wire from the junction box outside, through the window and into the panel inside. Any suggestions of what may cause the switch to go bad or what may cause this??

2012 DRV MOBILE SUITE 38 RESB3
Suitedreams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Wish I could help with an idea, but don't have any. 2 xfer switches going bad suggests a wiring problem/intermittent short somewhere. Used to be, lots of the xfer switches were installed with loose connections at the poles and caused the switch to go bad-arcing.
Perhaps you can source the switch yourself and try anothe one?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Suitedreams2

So last night I encountered another problem. Got home, and we didn't have any DC power. Went out to inspect the batteries and look for a inline fuse that could be out, but found nothing. Batteries are full of water, checked them two weeks ago. No breakers are tripped. I suppose it could be the converter, its just ironic that now I have DC problems. Also, I just replaced all of my bulbs with LED lights. Could this have possibly have caused this?
Thanks in advance
Suitedreams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

The battery monitor is not reading--blank?
Electricity is like water and the wires like hoses--if you have a source, then something is going to go thru the lines. Do you have a multimeter to check status of batteries--this is first thing to do, batteries dead, no power, even with converter on. Pull the batteries and have them checked. Then be double sure the 12-volt cutoff in the jack control panel is on--wouldn't be off unless you somehow moved it. If you have good batteries, and the 12-volt cutoff is on, then you almost have to have power in the trailer. The 12-volt power does not go thru the transfer switch.
Sounds like you may have to have a mobile tech come out and look it over.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote