Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
bacardiron

Winterizing 2008 32tk3

I would like to know if anyone out there in forumland has any ideas on which method is better for winterizing, pink stuff or blowing out the lines? When we still had our class A motorhome I just emptied the hot water tank and the fresh water tank and put in enogh pink antifreeze solution to pump thru all the lines and put some in the black tank as well. Now on our new ( 2008) Mobile Suites I am confused with all the lines and the washing machine, it doesn't get too cold here maybe - 10 C at the most. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
bacardiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
RickandJanice

You will get mixed opinions on using RV Antifreeze. I personally prefer to use the antifreeze to prevent seals from drying out and also assure no residual water is left that will freeze. We do no currently have a washer / dryer so it only takes about 1.5 gallons of antifreeze to fill all our lines and P-traps. I do use 40 lbs. of air to blow out the lines from the city water connection before siphoning the antifreeze into the lines.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
bacardiron

Thanks Rick and Janice for the words of advice. If you don't mind I would like to ask a few more questions since you have the same rig as us and it is new to us and a whole new ballgame. Does the stock brake controller in your Ford work with the brakes on the MS and when you winterize do you cover it with a cover such as Adco etc. When towing for the first time my message system in the dash kept saying trailer disconnected and the gain readout would flash red intermittently. It seemed liked the brakes were working tho as I could use them manually with the controller. Just wondering and a little worried as i don't want to tow with the possibility of having no brakes on a heavy rig. I tow with a 08 F450.
bacardiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
RickandJanice

We have the electric drum brakes that were standard in 2006 so no problems. Since yours is a 2008, you should have the electric over hydraulic disk brakes. The symptoms you describe are common with the disk brake system and 2008 ford trucks. The fix is a special controller that is added to the trailer brakes to make them work properly with the Ford integrated controller. I would suggest calling DRV with your unit number and ashing them which controller you need (probably a Carlyle). We store our rig inside so do no use a cover. Have tried them in the past and could never find one that stands up to the winds we get during the winter. They always seem to rub through on the corners and take constant checking to make sure they do not loosen up and slide off.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote