Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
clev

cable replacement

I noticed the lower cable frayed where it connects to the outside lip of the bedroom slide. I ordered a replacement kit for it and will start searching YouTube for instruction tomorrow. If any of you have had to replace these cables, any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
clev

I'm surprised at no responses. I figured surely that someone had performed this cable replacement and would offer advice/suggestions/recommendations on this project.

'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Dapperdan

I’ll respond but you won’t like my answer. I had a broken cable on the vanity slide that I discovered. We were going to Twin Lakes RV Repair anyway so when we saw Jay I mentioned the broken cable. Jay replaced it easy peasy, I hardly struggled at all!

Dan

P. S. Not to be a wise guy but that looked too tricky and out of my wheel house to replace. It’s one thing to pull the frayed cable through and entirely different situation if it goes bad!!
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
clev

Thank you, Dapper. I've watched the video's and it looks pretty simple. My wife and I have already adjusted the cables when the room was not closing properly within the first year. I would prefer to have a service center do the work, but here in Central Texas, that requires an appointment, hook up, pull to the shop, check in, drop off and then go back and get it a few days (week) later. And then pay them ~$125 an hour. That's out of my wheel house; LOL.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
clev

Just for the benefit of others who may be watching this thread and are curious how to do this replacement, I'll answer my own question.

The replacement kit has a long stainless steel cable; long, fabric, stretchy sleeve, eye bolt with nut, aluminum crimp collar, and rubber grommet; kit number 22305, I think. According to the printed instructions and YouTube videos, cut your cable past the frayed part and insert the end passing through into the trailer into the sleeve; insert the end of the new cable into the other end of the sleeve and butt it up against the old cable. Tape it from left to right and then pull the old cable through the pulley with the intent of pulling through the new cable. That does not work. the bottom pulley that you are working with, and probably all the rest, are mounted in a 'U' clamp with no tolerance at the bottom of the pulley. There is just enough room for the naked cable to pass through. After numerous attempts over a 2 hour period, the old cable pulled loose. No choice but to insert the new cable through the pulley and work with it on the inside. Piece of cake; there are only 2 pulleys, one at the bottom to divert the cable upwards, and the one at the top to direct the cable over to the motor. Very simple job, complicated by poor, misleading instructions. I had no crimper for the aluminum collar, so I used 2 'U' bolt clamps. I called Norco Tech Support and they told me the clamps were ok. This is not a difficult job, just simply insert the new cable under the pulley and pull it through; do not follow the instructions. This is about one hour job.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
Pvsaint

Thanks. I'm sure this will come in handy down the road.
2021 Ram 3500 dually, 6.7 HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 differential
Pvsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
clev

Here a picture of the bottom roller, showing how tight the cable fits, going into the trailer. This is the front, bottom cable/roller. The fray and connection to the front lip of the bedroom slide is to the right. The picture is rotated to the left. Mentally rotate it 90 degrees to the right. I don’t know how to rotate it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9570B29F-2752-457C-9537-7CB5C5D53D64.jpg (159.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
Dapperdan

Thanks for the update and pic Clev. You make it sound like even a caveman could replace that cable!!

I talked to a mobile Repair guy this last March while in Tucson about cable slide work. He told me if he can pull the old cable through with the new cable, not so bad BUT if that’s not possible (for whatever reason) the job now becomes much more involved and he said he usually ends up muttering some naughty words in the process!!

I watched a couple of those You Tube videos a few years ago, I didn’t have the confidence in myself to try the cable job myself. Knowing my luck I’d screw something up and end up having to phish a new cable by hand and like you said, in the videos they make it sound like a royal PITA. You’re saying it wasn’t too terrible makes me think.

Question: did you have to remove any facia or trim from inside your coach to gain accessibility?

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
clev

Dan, that’s exactly what I thought, and uttered a few choice words when the pull cable separated. But honestly, I pushed it straight in and my wife on the inside got it, pulled it in, and up over the top roller; just that simple. And just for grits and shins, we took the plastic cover off the other side this morning, and it is exactly the same. I made a lot of notes in my Lippert book so it will be easier next time.

Oh; missed your question. On both sides of the slide is a vertical plastic cover over the cables, folded over and fastened with 3 screws. The rollers and cables are clearly visible when you fold it over, out of the way. The strip is clearly visible at the top of the steps, when the slide is in.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #10
porthole

This orientation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6C109CB5-7D65-4593-8E38-16617654C72B.jpeg (292.9 KB, 10 views)
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #11
clev

Yes, thank you port. And another thing, on the front cables, the working space is a little tight. There is a screw in the floor to the right of the left closet door, to hold it in place. Remove the screw, slide it to the right, make sure you have your tools, step in the closet, and then have someone bring the slide all the way in. Then you have room to work in that tight corner. If your wife is pst at you, she may just leave you there for a while, because your are trapped.

I looked at all 4 cables and pulleys on both sides and made a lot of notes for the next time. This is an easy fix.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #12
clev

I bought this replacement cable about 4 years ago from Amazon for about $30. Now, on Amazon, it's over $80. Other places, if you can find it, is $40 - $60 with upwards of $20 to ship it. Can you believe $20 to ship that little piece of wire with a few attachments? Most places are 'Out of Stock'. Not sure where I'm going to get a replacement, but hate to travel without one.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
jcar

Send a message via AIM to jcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Here a picture of the bottom roller, showing how tight the cable fits, going into the trailer. This is the front, bottom cable/roller. The fray and connection to the front lip of the bedroom slide is to the right. The picture is rotated to the left. Mentally rotate it 90 degrees to the right. I don’t know how to rotate it here.
Was the slide all the way out?
Old 08-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
clev

Ye, jc, it is fully extended. What is that important?