Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
sourdo

Does anyone cut off excess flanges?

I have a 2021 Ram 2500 6.7 L Cummins with the 6.4 foot bed.

And recently I purchased a 2008 Forrest River Sierra 25RL 5th wheel.

Now I can tow it without issue as it is, but the nose is high due to the case of the higher side rails and high beds heights.

The axles are flipped, I have 16 inch tires, I can add risers, but the easiest thing to do is to raise the B&W hitch and/or raise the pin box in the mounts to lower the front.

And there is my issue, 3-4 inches of flange material that hangs below the pin box, with very close to the rails clearance.

Lippert will not say this is ok, but I get that.

But my question is this; "Is cutting off that excess material something done?"

My years of welding and fabricating tells me it's Ok, but I would like to hear more from others for this issue first.

I think notching the rear corners off with a cut off wheel would be Ok.

thanks for your input.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch1.jpg (275.6 KB, 71 views)

sourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

Wont hurt a darn thing but why don't you move the hitch ahead and have the head supports with the straight edge towards the cab???

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
sourdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Wont hurt a darn thing but why don't you move the hitch ahead and have the head supports with the straight edge towards the cab???
It's a slider hitch, and in the forward towing position, is quite Ok. Side rails are questionable though. Cutting off the excess flange material is a slam dunk to cure my issue and get some level for the rv.

Please stick to the specific question, cutting off the flanges. That is the question to anyone that has performed this surgery. I would like to hear from you.

Thanks for replying.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
Cummins12V98

Sorry I deviated from your specific question. Cutting the steel is a non issue as I said. Always more to an equation that is why I was asking about your hitch.

Side rails, not sure what they are?

Hitch is in towing position BUT are the hitch head supports mounted all the way forward with the straight edge towards the cab? If they are not a simple hitch adjustment may be all that is needed. Proper placement puts the kingpin forward of the center line of the rear axle and adds a bit of weight to the front axle instead of unloading it.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #5
sourdo

No worries @Cummins12V98

I installed this B&W 16K Patriot slider hitch all by my lonesome and am fully aware of all the adjustments. Until I can drag this new to us 5th wheel onto a large flat parking lot, I won't fully know what adjustments I can use and implement till then.

The overall goal here is to lower the 5th wheel nose to level. Cutting off the flanges to avoid bed rail interference and getting that last two inches, one more from the pin box, and one more inch on the hitch, is my goal. And then if I need more level, I'll add 2 inches of axle shims to the 5th wheel axle. Its a process, and finding ALL the adjustments needs to be very carefully considered. Once that steel is cut you're not going back.

Yesterday I sold my old Rv trailer, the guy had a 2000 Chevy 2500, and I forgot how low truck beds used to be. I had to get some wrenches and adjust the WD hitch for the guy, man you could jump into it it was so low, and I'm 67. The Ram? I need a step stool to safely get in the box.

This is the dilemma of marrying up older 5th wheels and newer trucks. Bed height.

And I would fully agree with cutting the flanges is not an issue with the way it is bolted in there.

But knowledge is power, and if you don't ask, you won't get.

Merry Christmas to all
sourdo
Old 12-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
Cummins12V98

Get those supports moved full forward and with straight sides towards the cab THEN you will know if you need to do any trimming. I highly doubt it!

Merry Christmas

Old 12-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
fred3

I had a 2018 Wildcat that i cut the flanges on when I put the sidewinder pin box. Towed for over a year with no problems.
fred3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #8
Dave The AV Guy

I can't see any issue cutting that area off. I can sympathize with you on the height of the Ram bed and sides. With my old Ford 2005 F250 diesel I could just barely step up into the box, but now we have updated to a 2016 Ram 3500 dually long box. I love the truck and the improvements in towing, but I can't make that step up. I now carry a three-step holding step-stool. At 69, it's partly that older age thing catching up to me.
Dave The AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:43 AM   #9
sourdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred3 View Post
I had a 2018 Wildcat that i cut the flanges on when I put the sidewinder pin box. Towed for over a year with no problems.
Thank you for your response, this is what I wanted to hear.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:53 AM   #10
sourdo

UPDATE:

I cut off those excess flanges, it looks much better, clean, and better clearance of the bed rail tops. I used thin cut off wheels on an angle grinder for a quick job.