Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
Renea

Need Shower Walls

Husband and I are owners of a 2018 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK that has been in the shop for 4 months now for repairs. We are waiting on the last items, but the repair shop cannot even give us a prospective ship date. We originally needed a new shower pan due to ours having cracked. Once they finally got the right size in, it was the wrong color (apparently the manufacturer no longer makes that exact color). So, now we are on the hunt for the walls to match the new pan. We keep getting told that they haven't heard anything.
We are full time rv'ers so this is our home. Hotel life has been very expensive and is no longer an option.
Does anyone know of anything that we can suggest to the repair shop (different manufacturer or even shower etc...)?

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #2
DutchmenSport

Is the only thing holding you up the color of the walls? In other words, the shower surround (walls) are available, it's just the color that off?

If so, after months of forking expenses for a motel, I'd take functionality over aesthetics any day.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:32 PM   #3
Renea

Explanation of issue

Thank you for your reply and no, it is not an aesthetic issue vs functionality but rather a (inability to get what they need for repairs) issue. We had it in for evaluation of some warranty work (shower pan being one) and told them that we were headed on a trip but would bring it in upon return since they had to order parts anyway (we were told only a couple of weeks for that). We headed on our trip and had a big issue (the bottom underbelly panels) fell out while traveling thus dragging all the insulation and wiring with it. This left us without hydraulics and well, stuck. The trip had lasted just a few hours before we lost part of our trailer on the interstate. It took 2 1/2 weeks at a shop where we were sidelined (thinking they could fix the new problems, wrong) before we could get towed the appx 200 miles to the shop where we had planned to go upon return and where it has been for the last 4+ months.
They just got a lot more work to do in addition to their original plans.

They had the shower pan waiting on us but, it turned out to be the wrong size (twice) and the third time is when it was the wrong color. They shipped it back before they were told that the color they needed was no longer available so they get it back and discovered that the panel walls were damaged and would need to be replaced as well. They have been unable to get them in and not even a prospective ship date. It was not that big of a deal while we were waiting on other parts as well but once everything else came in then it was a big deal. I did offer the shop that I would accept any color at this point but all I am told is that they are not stocked and no one is making them (Covid has been a big excuse) thus no prospective ship date.

We have not been sitting and waiting on just the walls but all the rest of the needed parts as well. Everything is there except the walls (been trying to get them all along). Our unit has been uninhabitable as it sat and now we just need these panels or some panels so that we can get our home back.

I posted in hopes to get suggestions of what or how to help with this issue.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
DutchmenSport

Sounds like you had your share of problems going on there. Sorry to hear that.

If the shower surround is still the last item you are waiting on, why not consider going to a Lowe's Home Improvement, or a Home Depot Home Improvement and get 3 sheets of 4x8 bathroom paneling. Not the hard board stuff, but the flexible, bendable rubbery paneling, that's soft and kind of has a spongy texture to it. It attaches to the existing walls with Liquid Nails. Simply cut the holes for the plumbing faucets and stick it on. A bead of caulking in the corners, corner trim over that and done!

I used this stuff when I remodeled one of the bathrooms in our house. Actually, everything around the bathtub/shower and toilet walls are covered with this stuff. Granted, my house is not living in an earthquake zone (4 wheels moving), but these panels have held up fantastic. They are a soft vinyl or rubber, not make of wood covered with a hard plastic.

If I had the camper and this was the last item, I think this would be the approach I'd take. Now .... Lowe's and/or Home Depot???..... do they have the materials? It seems like everything (we) actually want or need is simply not available.

Good luck, but do look and consider alternatives.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
Renea

I have since asked for the exact name, product number, size and color of the shower panel walls from the repair shop and are headed on a search myself.
So far I have reached out to Forest River asking for help with these products as well as the corporate company which owns the shop where my trailer is. I have also reached out to another repair facility to see if they can get them. Finding this forum has given me the enlightenment to make these particular contacts. Now I await responses and in the meantime continue to research options. Thank you
Old 02-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
djglover

Lowe's carries FRP (Fiber Reinforced Panel). Have only seen white.

Appears to be the default for basic shower stall relining.

I will be redoing with FRP this spring.
djglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #7
Hballer21

Need Shower Walls

What he said. FRP will solve your problem. Any shop can install this. It’s in stock in white in every Lowes, Home Depot as well as any plumbing supply house. It can be installed in a few hours by a semi-competent shop.

This is what you see in commercial bathrooms. Inexpensive and lasts a long time. Get it done and get back to enjoying RVing! Life is too short. Good luck to you.
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

FRP is VERY easy to install, why pay someone to do it.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote