Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #1
OneReallyOldGuy

Adding a 3rd A/C

Has anyone had a 3rd A/C unit added to your coach? Rolling Retreats has given me an estimate of around $4500 and said they can do it in a day.
I’m wondering how they are going to get it hooked into my existing ductwork and wire it up without tearing apart my roof or ceiling. I don’t see any room in my breaker box for an additional breaker either.
The 2 units I have just don’t keep it cool in here in a hundred degree heat plus I’ve been without my living room A/C for over six weeks now. Finally got it replaced a couple weeks ago and it worked for 4 days and quit. But that’s another marriage busting story.
Thanks,
Phil

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:12 PM   #2
Cummins12V98

Maybe you should ask them for a full explanation on how they are planning to do the job.

I listened to Alicia when we ordered our 2016 and have been very happy with the three AC's. Stayed cool in 113 degree heat for several days.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
OCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Maybe you should ask them for a full explanation on how they are planning to do the job.

Yes seems a little high in price without explanation. About 4 years ago,I had a Budgetary price of less than half your amount but would not be ducted. The A/C would replace a roof vent and be wired as the third zone of thermostat.
Clay
OCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
Cummins12V98

The ducting is already in place so I am sure that is what they would use. BUT an explanation from RR is what I would want.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
OneReallyOldGuy

I’ll have to get with RR for the particulars. Comparing non ducted to ducted is like apples to oranges and taking away one of my roof vents (fantastic fan?) is out of the question. I need and use all three daily.
When we ordered this coach from RV’s For Less Butch assured me two units were plenty and the third was a waste of money. Sure wish I wouldn’t have taken his advice on that.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
I’ll have to get with RR for the particulars. Comparing non ducted to ducted is like apples to oranges and taking away one of my roof vents (fantastic fan?) is out of the question. I need and use all three daily.
When we ordered this coach from RV’s For Less Butch assured me two units were plenty and the third was a waste of money. Sure wish I wouldn’t have taken his advice on that.
That's really sad!!! I honestly thought Alicia was trying to cut a fat hog when she first suggested 3 AC's. She was spot on.

Thank you Alicia for the umpteenth time!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
porthole

Quote:
Has anyone had a 3rd A/C unit added to your coach? Rolling Retreats has given me an estimate of around $4500 and said they can do it in a day.
I’m wondering how they are going to get it hooked into my existing ductwork and wire it up without tearing apart my roof or ceiling. I don’t see any room in my breaker box for an additional breaker either.
The 2 units I have just don’t keep it cool in here in a hundred degree heat plus I’ve been without my living room A/C for over six weeks now. Finally got it replaced a couple weeks ago and it worked for 4 days and quit. But that’s another marriage busting story.
Thanks,
Phil
What year and model? Most if not all the newer models are already built for a 3rd AC, wiring and ducts in place. Sounds pricey, but if they are using a 3 times the cost of parts for the total it may be in line. I'd search around if it was mine.

Single breakers can be replaced with double breakers, just need to make sure the panel is balanced as best that it can be. My trailer came with almost all double breakers in two panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Be interesting to hear how full an explanation.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #8
F350ms38rssa

Dealer told me I didn’t need the 3rd ac either. Wrong! I ordered with 3, great decision.
F350ms38rssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
4happyfeet

I had RR add my 3rd ac. Excellent job. Mine was pre-wired for 3rd, so no big deal. Do you have an EMS panel? (Energy Management System) Not all three acs run at the same time. The EMS turns compressors on and off where needed. Made all the difference in the world! My mobile rv repair guy charges $2500 to r&r an existing ac, maybe the rest of the estimate is for running wires, if you are not pre-wired.
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #10
OneReallyOldGuy

I just got off the phone with RR. Here’s the procedure.
Pull the ceiling panels down inside along with the lighting panel above the sink and all the lights, run the ductwork to tie in to the new unit, create two new return air ducts, and wire it all up if it’s not prewired. Then cut a hole in the roof to install the new a/c. Wire it up, seal it up then press the ceiling panels back in place (along with insulation) and let them cure for at least 24 hours.
It’s major surgery but he assured me they have done it before and it will be done correctly.
Wow,
Phil
Old 08-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #11
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happyfeet View Post
I had RR add my 3rd ac. Excellent job. Mine was pre-wired for 3rd, so no big deal. Do you have an EMS panel? (Energy Management System) Not all three acs run at the same time. The EMS turns compressors on and off where needed. Made all the difference in the world! My mobile rv repair guy charges $2500 to r&r an existing ac, maybe the rest of the estimate is for running wires, if you are not pre-wired.
All 3 AC"s will run at the same time when on 50 amp service and the EMS only load sheds on 30 or 20 amp service.
2020 F-450
Old 08-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #12
4happyfeet

Porthole, it’s my understanding that not all three compressors can run at the same time. All three FANS can. That’s what the EMS controls.
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW
Old 08-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #13
4happyfeet

They are MS experts! Plus, they have on-site camping.
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW
Old 08-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #14
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happyfeet View Post
Porthole, it’s my understanding that not all three compressors can run at the same time. All three FANS can. That’s what the EMS controls.
On 50 amp service all three AC's can run, continuously if needed.
Having all 3 compressors start at exactly the same time while other loads are active might put strain on the system. On really hot days I'll use slightly different temp settings on the AC's for cycling purposes.

The EMS only sheds on 30 amp (or 20 amp if selected) service.

On 50 amp or generator the load shedding is disabled. Although a typical 5500 Onan genset would have a hard time running 3 AC's. The EMS system 'assumes' full power is available and disables load shedding on the gen as well. The shedding is disabled whenever 240v AC is sensed or 12 volts DC from the generator hour meter is present.

We have an 8KW genny and there are times that unit struggles with 3 AC's and additional loads present.
2020 F-450
Old 08-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
OneReallyOldGuy

[QUOTE=porthole;33185]On 50 amp service all three AC's can run, continuously if needed.
Having all 3 compressors start at exactly the same time while other loads are active might put strain on the system. On really hot days I'll use slightly different temp settings on the AC's for cycling purposes.

I’m not sure whether it’s the thermostat or the load management system but both my a/c’s will not start at once. Turn them both on at the same time and one will start while the other has a little hour glass showing. About a minute later it will start up.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #16
OneReallyOldGuy

BTW when I explained the procedure to wifey she said “we’re not doing that.” So much for a third a/c
Old 08-02-2022, 01:32 PM   #17
porthole

Quote:

I’m not sure whether it’s the thermostat or the load management system but both my a/c’s will not start at once. Turn them both on at the same time and one will start while the other has a little hour glass showing. About a minute later it will start up.

That’s the thermostat. The same will happen when I first turn on the HVAC with all 3 set to cool.
With ours it seems to be in this order, 3-1-2
Old 08-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #18
porthole

Quote:
BTW when I explained the procedure to wifey she said “we’re not doing that.” So much for a third a/c
We did ours on the build and it really wasn’t a question or discussion with my wife.
Had we not ordered that way, well……….

Our first ‘hot trip’ was to Gettysburg for 8 days.
Every day over 95.

That was a convincer for 3 A/C’s and good insulation (and the front cap insulation had not fallen yet).
Old 08-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #19
Roam America

I have a 2019 40KSSB4 and heard that it would have been pre-wired for the 3rd A/C. Don’t believe it. I called DRV to ask. Using my VIN they told me that it was NOT wired, that option wasn’t ordered on my rig. When I questioned them, I was told they only pre-wire the 44 foot models.

Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote