Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Dljac

short box

I am looking for a newer used pu to haul my 25 ft 5vr. I would like a 2500 4wd extd cab long box. All I can find locally are short boxes. Has any one had experience with these?

Dljac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Tetoner

Location: Black Hills of SD. in summer, anywhere south winters.
It seems like long beds are about a thing of the past. Most dealers laugh at you when you ask for one. My son just bought a new 5er with a short bed and he purchased a "PIN EXTENDER". That extended the pin box about 10 inches. This gives him plenty of room for sharp turns. Most RV dealers have excess to these or you can do a search on google and find several dealers on the internet. Costs about $350.00.Good Luck!
Mike

https://mpmcfall.tripod.com/
www.PressureProSystem.com
Tetoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Hobo

I would not be with out my long bed. I don't think you can make a complet 90 degree with the truck even with the pin box extention. Pulling is ok but backing I have had times when I was spun around pretty good.
Beside the extra room in the box is where keep my generator, compressor, Tool box and oiles. If you want to install an axilery fuel tank you will also need the room.
It woun't make much diferance in turning radias but it is something to think about too. The 05 Ford said they took 5' off the tuning Dia. and Chev came out with the Quad Steer so that is even more to think of. I sure wish mine turned better. There are also sliding hitches for short bed but your looking at 1 to 2 grand more for the hitch.
Just a couple pros and cons. Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
michelenalex

I have a slider hitch on my 2500HD CC SB and have moved it to the manuver position once when I first got it. But I would rather have it than not, I have read posts on other forums that some guys don't even buy a slider hitch with their shortbed (Listed as "Standard bed" on Chevy's website) and these are the same guys that recommend a 1 ton dually for towing anything over 30 feet and 10,000 lbs. (That was a bit sarcastic!)
Old 08-21-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
Salty Dog

I have a 2500HD CC "standard" box without a slider hitch. My 5er has the extended pin box. The front of the 5er does come close but will not hit the cab.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
rvinmantim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
I have a 2500HD CC "standard" box without a slider hitch. My 5er has the extended pin box. The front of the 5er does come close but will not hit the cab.
Same here, at the closest angle ( I measured) I am 4" away from the cab. I have never had to go to this extreme for backing in yet but tried it at home.
rvinmantim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Springmeadows

I have a 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab, 6' bed, 4WD, diesel. I haven't bought the 5'er yet. But everyone tells me I need a slider hitch for any 5'er. The 5'er we like is the Heartland Sundance series that say you don't need a pin extender or slider hitch because of the angled corners on the front of the 5'er. Is this true? I'm green and don't know anything about 5'ers or goosenecks, so any help would be greatly appriciated. I have over 100,000 miles of experience pulling bumper pulled trailers.
Springmeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

short bed towing

Get the Heartland dealer to put it in writing...that will tell you if it will clear. Or you can measure from where the center of the hitch pin will be in the bed to the cab--if that is more than the distance from the hitch pin to the farthest extension of the corner of the trailer, it will clear.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
billr

Towed a few differnt fivers with the same truck, no slider, no problem. Both had extened pin boxes, but no angled sides on the trailer. I did have to watch close on sharp turns like when backing. It would hit it I went too sharp, but no issue if you pay attention. Always was able to get anywhere I wanted to go and not hit the truck.

A lot of folks that put a slider in end up forgetting to slide it (unless its an auto type) and they hit the truck.

The angled sides on the trailer help a lot, but an extended pin box is a must IMHO if you use a short box truck.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote