Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
portable dish for internet

Got tired of using the office in some campgrounds for internet connection. Then got wifi, but that only works if the park has wifi too. Switched to the cell phone connection. That only works if you can get a good signal strength, and you are not sending or recieving photos. Went out and bought a direcway portable dish, and our life on the net has changed. Takes about 15 minutes to set up and lock on, then its internet connection 24/7. Life is good.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
rverdlm

I agree. We got a portable dish last fall and we love it. I sure can't set mine up in 15 min though. It takes me longer than that to just get everything out. I'm closer to 45 min and that's when everything works well. How do you do your cross pole. That's the adjustment that seem to be the hardest to get because there is no fine tuning.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
5thwheeler

I didn't know they offered a portable dish. Was it an expensive initial affair?
I was reading about WildBlue yesterday but they say they don't have anyhting for mobile installations at this point.
http://www.wildblue.com/

If I had good internet service via any means when we are in the mountains my lawn sure would go to hell.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Thom

Here is a "list" of some reputable tripod system dealers. it is on adifferent site and a good one I might add
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RVInte...allers%20List/
I have heard a lot of good stuff about Dustyfoot.com and have had a couple conversations with Scott te owner and will be purchasing a system from him in the next month or so
www.dustyfoot.com
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
We also purchased from Dustyfoot last Sept and also met him in Quartzite in Jan. We paid $1500 for the dish, tripod, cables and modem, including his step by step installation manual. We also got the Align-a-site and the OPI meter. The system cost is $59 per month for our internet. For the cross pole test, I only use the OPI meter, and my wife watches the computer screen, then tells me when it is all set. There are times that the Direcway system is slower than I would like to see, but it always connects.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 05-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
rverdlm

Stripit; I also use the OPI, but I find it very difficult to fine tune the cross pole. I've tried to develope a way to move the angle in very small incriments with a turnbuckle, but so far I haven't been sucessful.
Full time since '96
Old 05-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
Stripit

I watched a fellow in the last park with some other dealers dish, and he didn't have the adjustment knobs like I have. He had to carry a wrench and loosen and tighten with a wrench for every adjustment. I showed him my unit, with knurled knobs, so much easier to adjust. Plus, I keep all the tightening points loose till I pass the cross-poll, then snug them down. There have been times that the Direcway system just was slow, and I thought I was as close as I could get on my numbers, but they for some reason, would not let me pass. So, we went to dinner, and when we came back we were passed and on??
When we find another dish in a campground, we always stop by and ask how they like it. Finding more and more as time goes by, plus a lot of folks ask us about the "big" dish.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Stripit

Be nice if I got some sort of commission on these dishes. Every single park we have been in, we get at least 1 couple to walk over and ask about it. We show how it works, and let them try on our computer. We have now gone and set a cable out on the picnic table wired into our modem, for anyone who wants to us their computer. Of course, no charge.
Stop by for a free ride!!
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 06-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
rverdlm

We're on through a wireless router and we've let people use ours through their wifi. . Most have been very impressed with the speed of the system. I've found most of the time sites are slow, it's on the other end. The reason I say this is if I'm looking for something and am having difficulty getting it I just go somewhere else and it's fast. I go to the other site later and that site will be fast also. I had the same problem when we were on through a high speed cable system.
Full time since '96
Old 07-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Hobo

Stripit

If you go to the DataStorm forum you can download the Point4020 prugram that will set the spects in your modem for you and you can skip all the reregistering with Direcway every time you move. It has saved me so much time on the set up. It is free, small and works with the DW6000 modem. Once you use the program you only have to do Antenna Pointing and your all set.
I preset the Polarization and have never had to fine turne it once I have locked on.
http://www.datastormusers.com/downloads.cfm
that is the site to get the Point4020 program.
I also registered at their site so I can post on the map my location. Go to the map link and I'm #2000. You can zoom right in to my location here in MI.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Stripit

Hey Hobo,

Good to see you. Find us at:

http://tinyurl.com/5gn3s

Also known as #635 under our aka of Weigh-It. We do use Point4020 most of the time. However, it does seem like every time we're setting up there's a storm either where we're at or at NOC
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
vela1

Send a message via Yahoo to vela1
Re: portable dish for internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit
Got tired of using the office in some campgrounds for internet connection. Then got wifi, but that only works if the park has wifi too. Switched to the cell phone connection. That only works if you can get a good signal strength, and you are not sending or recieving photos. Went out and bought a direcway portable dish, and our life on the net has changed. Takes about 15 minutes to set up and lock on, then its internet connection 24/7. Life is good.
HI:
We have been using Direcway for 3 1/2 years. DW does not support the mobile use of the manualy pointed system. That said, there are over 500 "trypod users that I am aware of. The trick is YOU need to be trained how to point the dish. A good trypod dealer will supply you with an OPI meter for seting Signal Strength, SS and cross pol, and an installers fine elevation tool.
He/She will also be readly available (cell phone support) for ANY and ALL problems you will encounter.
If any one is intrested in more information please contact me "OFF FORUM" at:

<vela1@direcway.com>
Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
ford 5ver

Vela1

I've tried to email you off forum but can't get to you. I would like more info on Directway internet for my RV. I don't think I could be more confused than I am right now about where to purchase the system and get it installed and connected to the internet.

Thanks....Gary
ford 5ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford 5ver
Vela1

I've tried to email you off forum but can't get to you. I would like more info on Directway internet for my RV. I don't think I could be more confused than I am right now about where to purchase the system and get it installed and connected to the internet.

Thanks....Gary
Directway is now Hughesnet. If you sign up for a new account with Hughes you will get a 9000 modem if your not careful and those are spot beamed = (not movable past a 50 to 100 mile radius)

That said, if you get a setup from a tripod dealer they will be sure you get the correct setup. Here is a sight that can help you locate some dealers along with lots of other good info and may answer lots of your questions.

http://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-bi...cgi/index.html

This is the map page and the people marked with GREEN icons are installers and shows their locations.

http://map.datastormusers.com/

Anothe good helpfull group is-
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/R...etBySatellite/

If you can find a person near you that has a tripod setup he my be able to help teach you the ropes if you were to by a used system form one of those forum or E-Bay. You would still need a dealer to commission the modem in your name but that can be handles remote

If you will be in populated areas most of the time a Verizon or ATT phone card my be the easier way for you to go. Just depends on how remotely you want to camp.

I bought 40 acres in TN and have very poor Verizon signal and same when out in the desert of AZ and NV in the winter months so a card is not a option for me.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
Motor31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford 5ver
Vela1

Thanks....Gary
Vela1 worked for the same company I did and is no longer doing installs or sales. The links that Hobo listed are good sources of info for you. I'd be looking at that info and he's correct that the 9000 systems are spot beamed and not good for travel. The 7000 systems are good for RV'ers buit you can't get the mobile setup from Hughesnet.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote