Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
fossey2

Help with Towing Capacity

Hello everyone!

I need some help with towing capacity as it is ALL GREEK to me!

We bought a 2018 1/2 ton Cougar (Keystone) model 32BHS 5th wheel three years ago.

I freely admit both hubby and I were idiots and took our salesman's word that our truck, a Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab 6.2L V8/3.73 would pull it with no issues.

Keeping in mind we have 4 children, plus all the gear we haul when we go camping (including our 6 bikes), I have started to worry about being way over capacity. We have been vacationing about 4 times a year since we bought it and really haven't experienced any issues.

I have tried to do my research, looking into how much my vehicle can tow vs. the 5th wheel specs and I'm more frustrated than ever because I get conflicting information from every website!

If we can get a straight answer somewhere...it would help us decide if we need to sell our truck and upgrade to a F350 (I'm assuming diesel because from what I've been looking at, they can pull more) but again...I can't make heads or tails of all the info I've read.

We have to stick with Ford because it is the only truck (that I know of) with a middle front row seat that has a shoulder belt and head rest for my kiddos.

Our current vacations have all been about 3 hours travel time and moderate to sometimes steep hills but we are planning a vacation to Yellowstone (From Washington State) sometime next year.

Does anyone have any advice they can share about this issue? I just want to make sure we are "safe" when traveling.

According to Keystone, our 5th wheel specs are:

Dry Weight = 9,160 lbs.
Payload Capacity = 2,340 lbs.
GVWR = 11,500 lbs.
Hitch Weight = 1,835 lbs.

When I researched the Ford website, I found this info for the 2012 F250

5th Wheel Towing with a 3.73 SRW 4x4 Crew cab
GCWR - 19,000
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight - 12,000

I have no idea if we are in the safe zone or even close! Ugh...

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide!

fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
Notanlines

RaeShel, I sent you a PM. Welcome to the forum. We really need a photo of your yellow sticker on the driver's door pillar. Those are the figures to start with.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
Rockerga

Need Vehicle Manufactures Sticker Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
RaeShel, I sent you a PM. Welcome to the forum. We really need a photo of your yellow sticker on the driver's door pillar. Those are the figures to start with.
Yep, we need this to assist you. Open the drivers door and look to your right on that pillar there will be details regarding your exact vehicle.
If that still does not answer your question, re-post and attach that pic with your post.
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
ford truck guy11

It is NOT about "what can I tow? "... It is ALL ABOUT " what can my truck carry"

PAYLOAD - PAYLOAD -PAYLOAD..

THE PROBLEM WITH THE f-150 IS THE LOW CARRYING CAPACITY FOR 5TH WHEELS....

They are much better at towing travel trailers
ford truck guy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
MTK46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford truck guy11 View Post
It is NOT about "what can I tow? "... It is ALL ABOUT " what can my truck carry"

PAYLOAD - PAYLOAD -PAYLOAD..

THE PROBLEM WITH THE f-150 IS THE LOW CARRYING CAPACITY FOR 5TH WHEELS....

They are much better at towing travel trailers
Read his post again. He has a F-250 not a 150
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
acmay46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossey2 View Post
Hello everyone!

I need some help with towing capacity as it is ALL GREEK to me!

We bought a 2018 1/2 ton Cougar (Keystone) model 32BHS 5th wheel three years ago.

I freely admit both hubby and I were idiots and took our salesman's word that our truck, a Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab 6.2L V8/3.73 would pull it with no issues.

Keeping in mind we have 4 children, plus all the gear we haul when we go camping (including our 6 bikes), I have started to worry about being way over capacity. We have been vacationing about 4 times a year since we bought it and really haven't experienced any issues.

I have tried to do my research, looking into how much my vehicle can tow vs. the 5th wheel specs and I'm more frustrated than ever because I get conflicting information from every website!

If we can get a straight answer somewhere...it would help us decide if we need to sell our truck and upgrade to a F350 (I'm assuming diesel because from what I've been looking at, they can pull more) but again...I can't make heads or tails of all the info I've read.

We have to stick with Ford because it is the only truck (that I know of) with a middle front row seat that has a shoulder belt and head rest for my kiddos.

Our current vacations have all been about 3 hours travel time and moderate to sometimes steep hills but we are planning a vacation to Yellowstone (From Washington State) sometime next year.

Does anyone have any advice they can share about this issue? I just want to make sure we are "safe" when traveling.

According to Keystone, our 5th wheel specs are:

Dry Weight = 9,160 lbs.
Payload Capacity = 2,340 lbs.
GVWR = 11,500 lbs.
Hitch Weight = 1,835 lbs.

When I researched the Ford website, I found this info for the 2012 F250

5th Wheel Towing with a 3.73 SRW 4x4 Crew cab
GCWR - 19,000
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight - 12,000

I have no idea if we are in the safe zone or even close! Ugh...

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide!
I did a lot of research on weights. Fifth wheel towing is different from trailer towing. Your F250 is just fine for your cougar. There are towing guides on the internet to search for your truck and fifth wheel combo. Do not exceed the fifth wheel GW. Go to a weigh station and weigh both. Your problem is not towing, but stopping.
acmay46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
shocker

Before you can make a good decision on a tow vehicle, you need to know what you are pulling.

Go to a truck stop and weigh your trailer on a scale. Weigh with the trailer attached and then again with just the tow vehicle.
First of all this will tell you if you are overloading the tow vehicle and/or the trailer.

From the weighing, you can easily determine the actual payload the tow vehicle rear axle is seeing and how much the tow vehicle is pulling.
I personally want at minimum a 10% cushion between what the tow vehicle load specs are and the load.
Also, make sure your 5th wheel hitch meets that trailer weight.
'18 Ram 3500 SRL, Cummins Diesel
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
ford truck guy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Read his post again. He has a F-250 not a 150
I see that now.... I was honed in on the words - "Half Ton Towable" - everything after that was bla..bla..bla..

To the original poster, check that yellow sticker... I think you may be fine and within your limits.... I'd let it roll down the road as is if so... that 250 is a decent match for that trailer.... Just My Opinion....
Old 07-20-2021, 04:33 AM   #9
Notanlines

Joe, your "I think you may be fine and within your limits.... I'd let it roll down the road as is if so... that 250 is a decent match for that trailer.... Just My Opinion...." statement might hold water if the following wasn't true:
The cargo capacity on her specific truck is 2682 pounds
The actual weight as per her CAT scale is 4292 pounds
She and all 5 other family members are towing 1610 pounds over the capacity of that F-250
She has been made aware of this, and, I might add, is an exceptionally sharp young lady. She and her husband are working on a solution as we speak.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
ford truck guy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Joe, your "I think you may be fine and within your limits.... I'd let it roll down the road as is if so... that 250 is a decent match for that trailer.... Just My Opinion...." statement might hold water if the following wasn't true:
The cargo capacity on her specific truck is 2682 pounds
The actual weight as per her CAT scale is 4292 pounds
She and all 5 other family members are towing 1610 pounds over the capacity of that F-250
She has been made aware of this, and, I might add, is an exceptionally sharp young lady. She and her husband are working on a solution as we speak.
]
That's funny, I read, and re-read the original post and I do not see where they posted CAT SCALE weights...
Old 07-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #11
Notanlines

It wasn’t there because she received little help here.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48001