Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
fossey2

Help with Towing Capacity

Hello everyone!

I need some help with towing capacity as it is ALL GREEK to me!

We bought a 2018 1/2 ton Cougar (Keystone) model 32BHS 5th wheel three years ago.

I freely admit both hubby and I were idiots and took our salesman's word that our truck, a Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab 6.2L V8/3.73 would pull it with no issues.

Keeping in mind we have 4 children, plus all the gear we haul when we go camping (including our 6 bikes), I have started to worry about being way over capacity. We have been vacationing about 4 times a year since we bought it and really haven't experienced any issues.

I have tried to do my research, looking into how much my vehicle can tow vs. the 5th wheel specs and I'm more frustrated than ever because I get conflicting information from every website!

If we can get a straight answer somewhere...it would help us decide if we need to sell our truck and upgrade to a F350 (I'm assuming diesel because from what I've been looking at, they can pull more) but again...I can't make heads or tails of all the info I've read.

We have to stick with Ford because it is the only truck (that I know of) with a middle front row seat that has a shoulder belt and head rest for my kiddos.

Our current vacations have all been about 3 hours travel time and moderate to sometimes steep hills but we are planning a vacation to Yellowstone (From Washington State) sometime next year.

Does anyone have any advice they can share about this issue? I just want to make sure we are "safe" when traveling.

According to Keystone, our 5th wheel specs are:

Dry Weight = 9,160 lbs.
Payload Capacity = 2,340 lbs.
GVWR = 11,500 lbs.
Hitch Weight = 1,835 lbs.

When I researched the Ford website, I found this info for the 2012 F250

5th Wheel Towing with a 3.73 SRW 4x4 Crew cab
GCWR - 19,000
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight - 12,000

I have no idea if we are in the safe zone or even close! Ugh...

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide!
fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote