Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
Exposed

Changing Out Lippert Hydraulic Hoses

We have a 2016 38RSB3 DRV that is 5 years old this month. About a year or so ago, we noticed on a trip the kitchen slide started to creep out going down the road. This was very alarming and concern. We pulled over and reseated the slide and was fine. A couple trips later this happened again and actually several travel days on our vacation. This year on our September vacation, it happened again every day or so. Stopped into the DRV dealer in Logan, UT. Tech looked at it and said most likely a solenoid valve. After some research and testing I feel pretty comfortable it is a seal inside the slide cylinder that is not holding. After talking with DRV at the factory, I decided to just replace the cylinder. I have ordered again and hopefully will get this week. The first cylinder they sent was the wrong length and actually ended up being the one for the dinette slide. Anyway, opening up the area in the belly around the cylinder, I see that the hose on the cylinder is also leaking where the crimps are made. I have read many blogs on these cheap China hoses that Lippert is using on our RV's. This hose of course is the extend side which comes from the pump area off the main distribution block in the front. To replace this hose, you have to do a bunch of work on the belly just to get access. I am familiar with these hoses since I had two of the stabilizing jacks leaking where they connected same deal. I had Napa make up two replacement hoses couple months ago. We had another trip planned so I elected to replace and just tie wrap above to the frame above the suspension and would put back inside in the future.

So now I decided to tackle this beast and just replace all of these crappy hoses with good quality hoses. Since we have another trip planned middle of January, I can't tear all the underbelly out right now. I see a lot of users just take it back to the Lippert factory service center in IA. This time of the year and since I am just outside Houston, not practical to make that trip.
I have figured out the schematic on how DRV ran the hoses and estimated lengths for each one. Looks like 16 hoses (2 already replaced) totaling about 210 feet of hydraulic hose. Not for sure on cost (shopping around right now) of hose, fittings, and labor to build but estimate about $1200-$1500.
Will post as this progresses.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote