Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #23
ElectricBill66

Reply to A/C amperage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse68 View Post
Hi guys,

Just noticed my Dometic Penguin 2 unit in the living/kitchen area (zone 1) is drawing too many amp when the compressor kicks on. The fan motor starts up first, and draws 1.5 - 2 amps, then the compressor kicks on. When the compressor starts up, it draws about 24 amps initially for a half a second to a second, then settles back down to 14 amps the rest of the time it runs. Thoughts? Things to check?

David
The amperage that you have measured appears to be normal. The initial start-up current is normal. The amperage for a 13,000 or a 15,000 BTU air conditioner on max cool is normally 16.1 amps. Slightly less on low cool but not by very much since all that is happening is the blower fan is at a reduced speed. Compressor still pulls same amount of current wether its on hi or low cool. If anything, your A/C is pulling less amperage. I don't know the specifics about your model but a low freon charge could cause a lower than normal current situation.
If its cooling fine, I'd say theres no problem with it. The air conditioner is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker for the reason it can draw up to 16.1 amps.
Hope this helps.
ElectricBill66 is offline   Reply With Quote