Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Jim n Iowa

GPS

I thought I had posted this ? before, but the mystery of the internet escapes me.
My Query is gps navigation for RV's. Who uses it and how?
A laptop can be loaded with a gps program, and connected to the internet for up dates, thru satelite, wifi or ?. They are now available in TV's. Any one use them?
Jim

Jim n Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
jbeletti

Hi Jim,

Jim "from" Iowa here.

I just sold my portable GPS (Magellan RoadMate 700) in favor of PC based solutions.

PC based solutions are not for everyone however and it's hard to beat the simplicity and portability of the Portable GPS units (Magellan, Garmin, Tom Tom and others).

Because I am quite the geek/gadget freak, I am building a PC for the truck (a carputer).

Back to one of your questions, I use the GPS for route navigation when we RV travel. I also travel locally for work and have programmed in all of my offices. Secondarily, I use the GPS for the POIs (point of interest). Handy when you are looking for a particular restaurant, an ATM or the next fuel stop etc.

To speak to your second question about a laptop based system, my carputer will be a small shoebox sized unit that will reside under the driver's seat. Initially, I will use a Garmin system and Microsoft Streets and Trips. I've read a lot about several other programs and may try others as well. As for connecting, I will be using 2 different magnetic roof-mount GPS antennas (due to the Garmin outputing a proprietary data protocol). As for updating the programs, that will be a function of the maker of each. Magellan (Thales) sends out CDs (upgrades you pay for). I am not sure what Garmin, Delorme and others do.

As a side note, I will have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GSM/GPRS wireless protocols on the carputer so I have a lot of options for getting data to the machine.

Best of luck to you and I look forward to learning what you end up doing.

Jim (formerly of Ft. Dodge, IA)
Streamwood, IL

Old 01-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
5thwheeler

Jim & Jim
5thwheeladmin here - formerly from Iowa - notice a trend? I've met alot of people "from" Iowa but not alot that actually still live there.

The carputer as Jim calls it is really starting to gain speed in the market. People can copy all of their music cd's to them as well as dvd movies, gps software ect.
Currently you are almost forced to build one yourself as there aren't any places marketing a ready made unit that I'm aware of.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Hobo

Hello Iowans, Michigan, Alabaman, Texan, Coloradan here.
I use a lap top sitting on a swivel base attached to my console. DW loves it as she can do all her normal computing including E-Mail going down the road. It also has the big screen that makes it very easy for me to see when using Delorme Street Atlas or Topo with the Earthmate GPS.
I use a GPS in my travels as I do not like staying on the main roads and love back street America. I don't care if I'm on rout or not as long as I know where I am. You are never lost when you have a GPS

I also Have a Garmin's hand held I use when hiking or Geocacheing. With the right software it is easy to plot a trip or days outing caching on the lap top and transfer the waypoints to the handheld.
A GPS is functional and fun.
Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
rotaxman

GPS

Jim

I use aGarmin 2620 talking GPS works great I like it a lot.
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
MDTdriver

GPS

I still use my first GPS Garmin Street Piolt Color first addition mid 90's I think. Still works set on dash of my MDT. Buy a cd every 2 yeas for updates has a 64mb card.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Jim n Iowa

Thanks for your reply's. I have now a base to work from.
So how is it you can get e-mail driving down the road on your laptop? can this same service incorporate cell phone ability?
Jim

Jim n Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote