Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
KingRanch

Send a message via MSN to KingRanch Send a message via Yahoo to KingRanch
Volvo

OK you crazed volvo addics,
As I posted in a previous post, we ordered the new MS 38, I have a 2003 F350 CC DRW FX4 6.0PSD King Ranch (hence the handle), now the 38 has every option they offer and the UVW starts @14.5, so I don't think that with everything loaded that the truck is going to make it!
So I took your advice and searched TruckPaper.com and found a 2001
Volvo. here are the spec from the site, I'm wondering if this is a good deal? will the hitch work with the 5th, what do I have to watch out for?

2001 VOLVO VNL42T420, S60 Detroit 470 HP, 10 Spd, Engine Brake, Air Ride Suspension, 3.73 Ratio, 206" WB, 42" Integral Sleeper, 22.5LP Tires, Aluminum Wheels, Single Axle, 193,000 miles, Warranty on Engine and Drivetrain until 11/05. Dual 120 gal. tanks, Aluminum Merrit cab protector W/ 2 chain hangers and center storage compartment, Dump Switch. Interior is exceptionaly clean and has never been smoked in. Dual air ride seats, tilt/telescoping steering, stero. Truck was used to haul new cargo and horse trailers. Truck, $45,000

All advice appreciated

2005 M2 Sportchassie
2006 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #2430
KingRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
rverdlm

193,00 on a 2001 truck is very low milage. The price is a little high for an '01, but with the low milage it might be ok. There is a big group of HDT folks on the SKP forum. I think you'll get a bigger responce to you question there. The hitch will work, but it only moves in one direction. I feel that an air hitch with 2 way articulation is needed to prevent excess stress being put onto the pin box.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
KingRanch

Thanks for the response rverdlm, what would you consider a fair price for this unit? how difficult would it be to swap out the hitch, I never considered a HDT, & this is cheaper than my F350. Do people upfit these things with a RV bed in the back?
2005 M2 Sportchassie
Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Tetoner

Location: Black Hills of SD. in summer, anywhere south winters.
I think $45,000.00 for a 2001 with that low mileage is an excellent buy.
If it as clean as you say, I wouldn't hesitate long as it will be gone!
I'd like to see a few pictures of it outside and inside. This is my opinion. have you checked your state for type drivers license needed, cost of regestration and plates, along with insurance costs? Have you ever shifted a HDT? Better go drive a few......IMHO

Mike
https://mpmcfall.tripod.com/
www.PressureProSystem.com
Tetoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
2FoRtHeRoAdS

She looks to be slick as a whistle.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...C26A698154D205

Lester & Delilah
2FoRtHeRoAdS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:46 AM   #6
Tetoner

It does look GOOD! If your truley looking for a truck like this, I'd check this one out. That 5th wheel hitch will work fine, especially if you get a Trailair air bag hitch for your 5th wheel. I used my commercial hitch on my truck when I first got it for a while and it worked better than any RV hitch I've ever used. I hated to give it up. I'm now kinda sorry I did.
If this truck checks out as good as it looks, I'd go for it. Volvo will let you purchase an extended warranty and who knows, the dealer will no doubt take a feww bucks less that they have it advertised for.......

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Motor31

That particular truck has a rather small sleeper berth in it. That is going to be a bit cramped if you are going to actually use it. The most common Volvo model is the 610 which has a larger berth, some with 2 bunks. They have room for a small fridge inside as well. I have the 660 which is the same size except for height as I'm up to 13' tall and the new MS is also 13'2".

The transmission n that one is a "straight 10" that means shifting for each gear change. Quite a few of us have the autoshift which makes driving the truck MUCH easier.

I'd be a bit leary of the low miles but it may have been a private truck instead of a O/R hauler. It's ok to get it checked out by an independant mechanic and if they balk, run away from the deal.

I am still using the commercial hitch on my rig right now. I hope to be switching to a RV hitch later this year to get some left to right flex in it. The pin for the RV is the same diameter as the commercial hitch. You may have to get a spacer over the grease resevior on it or it will gall the hitch and bind slightly. I definately advise getting an air pin box or air hitch. Use a telfon disk as well if the hitch plate is smooth and level with the pin box.

If it were me I'd go look for a 610, 660 or a 770 for RV use. How do you intend to register it? What state are you in?
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
KingRanch

Knew I came to the right place

Man do you guys/gals know what you are talking about!
I've just started my search for the ultimate beast, and you have me questioning my train of thought already! My contract here in OH runs to the end of the year and I just ordered the MS last month so I figure I have time to look! The berth would basicly be a dog house for the 2 65lb pups, unless momma gets mad at me, then the pups will replace me in the queen!
The tranny is a good point! I'll move more in that direction, I think!
I ordered the rig with the air pin box, but was wondering if anyone does upfitting for a custom bed, and if so with the airpin, could I get by with my 22K reeses peices, or should I go air ride?
My home base is in tax hell Wisconsin, I'd want to register it as an RV. Patti & I have been talking aboult moving the base to South D, maybe through Escapee's, she's looking into the lodgistics now as we(she owns the business). (I'm the grunt)
Back to what truck, what would be your dream truck if you don't already own it, and where or who would I get a great deal from?
Thanks,
John
2005 M2 Sportchassie
Old 08-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Tetoner

You can see what I put together on my web site (in sig) Both the place I bought the 770 and the place that built my bed will help you. Contact Bryan at the Volvo dealership in Nashville.

We've spent our summers around the Black Hills Of South Dakota for over 10 years although we reyired out of Florida. We Alternative Resources in Sioux falls for our mail forwarding service. 1-800-477-2664. They can do the titleing for your truck also. SD has a neat law, if you don't do commercial hauling you don't need a commercial drivers lic. and it can be registered as a private truck. No need to go through the licensing junk of trying to make a motor home out of a truck and it cheap.

Go to : www.escapees.com go to the forum, then go down to HDT and you'll learn a ton about these neat trucks.....you don't have to be a member to read and post......
We had a BALL finding, buying and converting our truck and the way it tow's is out of this world...........Mark us HAPPY, and you can WRITE that down!!!

GOOD LUCK

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Motor31

John,

Go to www.truckpaper.com and look over the volvo's listed there. Like I said the most popular is the 610 since it's less than 11' tall. Most 5ers are about 12' or more anyhow so to me it was a wash.

Look for the term "autoshift" for the self shifting transmission. Sometimes they don't list it on the heading so you'll have to read the newer adds to make sure you don't miss one. They are out there so don't get discouraged about it right off the bat if you don't see one close by. I looked for a few months and ended up getting a 660 autoshift in my own state just up the road.

As far as the residency issues are concerned SD is a good bet. If you do want to go the motorhome route they do not recognize the conversions any more. Montana does. The conversion is fairly easy and it is cheap to insure and register in Montana.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 08-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #11
Jack Mayer

You can also look on our website for some general info and pics of trucks.

http://jmayer6.tripod.com
https://jmayer6.tripod.com
Jack Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #12
lovenit

John & Patti;
I bought my 1998 Volvo over two years ago.It had about 550,000 miles on it,I paid $17200.00.I have the small 11.1 Detroit engine in it which has more power than I will ever need.My truck has a 9 speed transmission which I don't mind shifting.My only regret is that I did not buy this kind of truck years ago.I get about 12 to 13 MPG pulling my 5er,hills mean nothing to this truck plus I never have to worry about stopping.I put my R.V. hitch on the HDT but removed it after one trip and started using the commercial hitch which I like alot better.Early this summer I put a Trailair pin box on my trailer.
If you are concidering an HDT I can guarantee you will never regret buying one.
lovenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #13
Gunship Guy

King Ranch,
Like you we have a 38RL3 on order. It will be too much trailer for my 1 ton Dodge/CTD so we bought a Volvo 770. I have yet to pull anything with the 770 because the trailer won't be ready until the end of the month.

I have the straight 10 tranny and don't mind shifting. I say that now because I haven't been stuck in traffic yet. Our first pull will be when we drive up to Indiana to pick up the trailer. Looking forward to a two-fold new experience...pulling a new MS with a HDT.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
rverdlm

Where in IN will you be getting your trailer?
Full time since '96
Old 09-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
Gunship Guy

Walnut Ridge RV in New Castle.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #16
rverdlm

I think you'll be happy with them. We sure are. We were treated very well. We ended up staying 4 nights on them in the CG. During this time they came to the site to fix all the little things we found wrong with the trailer. The workers worked around us while we did our move.
Full time since '96
Old 09-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #17
Gunship Guy

Nice to hear you had a positive experience. I've only dealt with the salesman on the phone and email and it has been totally painless. I'm very happy with Walnut Ridge so far.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #18
Motor31

Gunship,

I bought at Walnut Ridge as well. The sales portion as well as the "finance paper work" portions were easy, painless and cordial. The service area was also cordial, however, getting things done was another matter. I had to make 2 calls to the factory to get them to tell the service area to fix the problems. I ended up making a trip back for additional repairs and finally a trip to the factory for more including one the dealer was supposed to have fixed the first time. The factory went out of their way to get things done for me. It just took almost 800 miles in driving and almost 3 weeks spent at the dealer or factory to get things done. So far it's all not finished and I am taking care of some of it myself, like caulking all the windows. I'm over 1800 miles away now and not interested in returning to that area for more work. I'll try to find a dealer towards the west to take care of one or two more items.

FWIW, the items I had problems with are not "picky things" from a fussy owner. They are things like a hydraulic system that has air in the system, a sliding door collapsing into the basement area, inoperative washing machine and others.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 12-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #19
HighwayRanger

Gunshipguy,

Did you buy your 770 new? If so, did you order it with the single rear axle? It sure looks good! Are you going to put an RV bed on it? That looks like a great way to go!
2016 DRV 38RSB3, MorRyde IS and MorRyde Pin Box
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #20
Motor31

Highway Ranger,

On the escapees BBS there is a section of the forum (HDT) dedicated to the type of tow vehicle that Gunship and I have. By my estimate there are about 200 to 400 of us that have them for RV usage.

There are a bunch of us at any time either looking for, obtaining or modifying the trucks for use. There is LOTS of info on the forum about it including how (if you are into do it yourself), where and what it costs to modify the trucks. WHile some can be found already singled out, singling is not necessary to make them usable for RV uses. Almost everyone who has singled has done so after purchase.

If you go to the escapees bbs you can read all abut the peocess nd pro's / cons of the truck situation. Frankly having used both a 1 ton and a HDT, I won't go back to the light duty trucks for RV towing. Our rig is far too heavy to do so safely and the HDT is much more comfortable than our old Ford was towing to boot.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or over there.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"