Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Rooriders

Bed cover

Just bought a 2020 Silverado to (eventually) pull a fiver. We have a TT now.

It's our first pickup, and I would like to get a bed cover for it to keep things dry and secure when we're not towing, but not have to remove it completely when we do tow. Haven't decided on a hitch yet, but strongly considering an Anderson.

What brand and type of bed cover do you suggest for my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Roorider

Rooriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
fjr vfr

The best tonneau cover for what you are planning is the BakFlip. They have several models made to fit each brand. I've had my G2 for several years and love it. It will fold all the way up against the cab when I need the entire bed. When hooked up I fold mine one short of all the way and it clears the pin box even at 90 degrees. It also covers my generator, gas cans and tool box so they're out of the weather.
When not towing it closes all the way and I lock the tail gate for security. It's hard top and only seeps a little in some areas...not a problem. Check them out here.

https://bakflip.com/

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
fjr vfr

P.S. I don't know how well it will clear an Andersen hitch? I assume it will. I have a normal 5th wheel hitch and it clears just fine.
I shied away from the Andersen hitch. Some people love them, but not all. I tried to stay conventional and I've been happy I did. The biggest issue with a 5th wheel hitch is weight and getting it in and out of the bed. I bought a portable crane from Harbor Freight when it was on sale. Makes it easy getting it in and out. I only have to move it a couple feet for the boom to reach...good exercise...lol The crane folds up and roles out of the way. Works for me.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Rooriders

Thanks, fjr vfr.

I put a HFT hoist in my attic to help get the Christmas decorations up there! Best $99 bucks I ever spent!
Rooriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
Yooper20

Another solution

I recently bought a new short bed SRW F-350 with a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch for our new fiver. I wanted a tool box that would allow me to securely store some items as well as a tonneau cover that would give me easy access to the hitch. It was important that the toolbox be fiver friendly while the tonneau cover when rolled back would not obstruct the camera view of the hitch. I also wanted to access the toolbox without having to roll the tonneau cover back to access the handles and key locks. I found the perfect set up. Tractor Supply sells a low profile toolbox made by Better Built that has the latches/locks on the cover. In addition e-trailer sells a special locking tonneau cover that integrates securely with the tool box. And the setup is waterproof as well. I carry a large honey wagon along that fits neatly and securely behind the hitch and under the tonneau cover when we are unhitched. Perfect set up. Hope the attached photo helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7417D292-4707-4E6E-ABDC-09FE22CC454F.jpg (250.2 KB, 14 views)
Yooper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:05 PM   #6
BillB

UnderCover UltraFlex

An alternative to the BAKflip is the Undercover UltraFlex. It has 2 major benefits over the BakFlip. When it is flipped all the way up, it does not rest against the truck cap and it comes with a 5 yr warranty instead of a 3.

Check them both out. You can also get good prices from Tonneaucovered.com
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #7
ford truck guy11

I have had good luck with my -https://rollnlock.com/m-series/2020/...verado-3500-hd

I just put one on my 2020 Ford---
ford truck guy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #8
Adventurous

I'm looking to get the BAKFlip MX4 - it has the 5 yr warranty plus the added bonus of being hard instead of soft. I don't have a typical tool box and don't intend to get one. Instead I'll get the BakBox 2 to keep tool bags, fluids, and other odds and ends. When I need to, I'll be able to remove the items and fold the box up to allow full use of the bed. Ordering next week and very excited.

My setup is 2017 F350 6.7L long bed with a gooseneck fiver.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anderson, bed, cover, hitch, tonneau