Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
ernest3203

rv furnace

my furnace starts up and ignites for about 10seconds then shuts off after about 30 seconds ignites and does the same thing,im replacing thermostat,it has 4 separate buttons,cool-off-furn----fan-auto-on------thermostat----and one other butt,dont recall the function,some body told me to put the two thermostat wires together and if furnace kept running,he named some part to check.the whole unit has 5 wires and they start at +7.5---cool---fur--hi fan--fan---gnd.i don't know wich wires to hook together,the color sequence are red-yellow-white-blue-brown-green,i know this is pretty vague.any info would be appreciated

ernest3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Possibly a 'sail switch' failure. This is a safety device that won't allow the burner to stay on if not moving enough air. From your description, you probably need to have a mobile tech check it out, might be a control board problem also.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
MnP

If you are out of propane (or you tank is turned off) you will get the same symptom that you are getting. Don’t ask me how I know that.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
03Roadking

As mentioned before sail switch or if you don't have a flying insect screen over the inlet and exhaust a critter may have built a home not allowing enough air flow.
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest3203 View Post
my furnace starts up and ignites for about 10seconds then shuts off after about 30 seconds ignites and does the same thing,im replacing thermostat,it has 4 separate buttons,cool-off-furn----fan-auto-on------thermostat----and one other butt,dont recall the function,some body told me to put the two thermostat wires together and if furnace kept running,he named some part to check.the whole unit has 5 wires and they start at +7.5---cool---fur--hi fan--fan---gnd.i don't know wich wires to hook together,the color sequence are red-yellow-white-blue-brown-green,i know this is pretty vague.any info would be appreciated
BLUE is what you are looking for. There are two of them running in to the furnace. Before you disconnect label what they connect to. Im not sure that is needed but it will make you more comfortable when you put them back together. take the two blue wires and put them together. If furnace works then tstat is faulty. Most likely it won't and yu need a sail switch or freon would be second choice. Hope this helps you