Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Tsmith1499

2009 Cougar. The good, bad, ugly???

Looking at a used 31' Cougar. Just wanted to know if there is anything I should look out for. It's at a dealer and will be inspected and appliance checked/prepped. Thinking about just having them repack the wheel bearings just to be on the safe side there. Moving up from a 30' TT. Is there anything I should get for it that I didn't need for the TT?

Tsmith1499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
Notanlines

"will be inspected and appliance checked/prepped" at most dealers is just about as bogus as a football bat. There is a delivery checklist posted on www.keystoneforums.com that is available to you, checking in with the same credentials you use on this site.
DO NOT take the dealer's word for anything. You will want to check this RV top to bottom, particularly for previous water leaks and operation of ALL appliances, AC, furnace, water heater both gas and electric. Look on the back side of the tires and read the four digit build date (Yes, it will be there) If they are older than three years then don't leave the lot with them on there. Do NOT look at them and think "Oh, they have lots of tread left." RV tires are judged by age more than tread.
This will give you a place to start. Good luck to you.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Tsmith1499

Luckily for us we have dealt with this dealer before. I specified that before taking delivery all utilities will be demonstrated as functioning properly. The tires are the o lot thing I missed when we looked at it. But that’s on my list!! Thank you for the info and reminder about the tires.
Tsmith1499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
ampettigus

I have a 2016 Cougar in addition to packing the bearings every 11000 miles and a new set of tires and I have replaced the skylights - plastic aged also I have had to replace fenders as screws come loose and plastic cracked - You need to walk the roof and look for aging of the sealant round all windows and vents
ampettigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
sfsgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith1499 View Post
Luckily for us we have dealt with this dealer before. I specified that before taking delivery all utilities will be demonstrated as functioning properly. The tires are the o lot thing I missed when we looked at it. But that’s on my list!! Thank you for the info and reminder about the tires.
Tires have a four digit date code. The first two are the week of the year they were made and the next two are the year.

I'd also take a good look at the roof.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote