Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
JimGnitecki

Is this insurance quote in the right ballpark?

Looking at buying a brand new 2015 Tradition and asked Geico, with whom we insure our 2 vehicles plus cargo trailer and motorcycle, for a quote.

The quote does NOT include collision coverage, since we will NOT be moving the 5th wheel at all for at least a couple of years (we will fulltime in it in a local RV resort until we start to actually travel).

It includes full comprehensive coverage based on approximate $75,000 value, $50,000 liability coverage for injuries to visitors, $10,000 contents coverage, and $2000 loss-of-use coverage. Geico partners with Foremost for this RV coverage, so it's actually a Foremost policy sold by Geico.

Geico quoted $890 per year if paid 100% up front.

Is this the right ballpark, or can I do better?

Jim G

JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Sounds ok to me--I pay $690 for $35000 coverage w/appropriate contents, liability and L-O-U. I believe my vehicle insurance covers the collision aspect--will need to check on that.
You're in TX, right? Very high state to insure vehicles in...
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Sounds ok to me--I pay $690 for $35000 coverage w/appropriate contents, liability and L-O-U. I believe my vehicle insurance covers the collision aspect--will need to check on that.
You're in TX, right? Very high state to insure vehicles in...
Joe
Yes, I am in Texas. Our Kia Soul car, almost brand new F150 truck, and 6x12 cargo trailer insure for a combined $1350 per year with Geico ($675 every 6 months to be precise). We both have excellent driving and claims records. My almost new Harley motorcycle insures with Geico for $350 per year.

Note that Proegresssive and Geico DO offer collision coverage on RV policies for fulltimers, so I would NOT assume that the tow vehicle coverage applies when the trailer is not an incidental cargo trailer but rather a movable home!

Jim G
Old 10-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
terry and jo

You might also check with Miller Insurance out of Oregon. They have been brokers for a number of RV owners. Since our insurance company at the time of our purchase would not insure our Suites once we went full-time in it, we went with Miller Insurance. Marlene at Miller did a good job for us, both when we were in Oklahoma and again now that we are in Colorado.

Miller Insurance Agency

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry and jo View Post
You might also check with Miller Insurance out of Oregon. They have been brokers for a number of RV owners. Since our insurance company at the time of our purchase would not insure our Suites once we went full-time in it, we went with Miller Insurance. Marlene at Miller did a good job for us, both when we were in Oklahoma and again now that we are in Colorado.

Miller Insurance Agency

Terry
Yes, thanks, Miller Insurance was mentioned to us too!

Jim G