Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
poolman

Send a message via Yahoo to poolman
Double tow w/No Jack.. Swivelwheel type trailers?

Hi Everyone:

I own a 5th wheel trailer & a Harley Davidson MC that I would very much like to take with me when I travel. I have been doing a great deal of research on the several "No Jack", "Swivelwheel" type trailers that are available & was wondering if anyone out there actually owns, or has owned, one of these trailers?

I understand the state laws regulating double/triple towing, as well as the actual 5th wheel limitations (frame strength & etc.) & was just trying to find out if they worked as advertised, & if not, what the problems were with them.

Due to the expense, I want to make sure I'm not going to be wasting several thousands (+) of dollars on something I won't be happy with. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Poolman :roll:

Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
BobW

This is the one I would love to get.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/swivelwheel.htm

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
poolman

Thanks

Hi Bob:

I'm very fimiliar with that product, but after doing "hours & hours" of research & talking with the companies at length; I'm convinced that the "Smart Trailer" (even though it's more costly), is a better made product & offers several advantages & features that the "Swivelwheel" doesn't. In other words, I believe it to be a better value.

What I'm looking for are folks that actually own (or owned) any of these types of MC trailers to see what they actually thought of them. I can compare features & quality of build but what I can't do is actually know what they tow like & any problems that might be associated with them.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
The View 5046

You might look at this www.Idahotote.com the best I have seen. GBY..

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
poolman

Thanks

Dear GBY:

Thank you for that, but once again, I am very familiar with that trailer. The size, weight, & price ruled it out of my consideration. Even at a price that's almost twice that of the Smart Trailer that I'm looking to purchase, it doesn't offer some of the engineering that's designed into the one I want.

One more time; I know about ALL of the trailers that's on the market that do what these do, but I'm looking for someone that actually owns one. Someone's got to be out there that does.

Jim :oops:
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
JohnandMarla

I recently had a hitch welded to our Mobile Suite and picked up a used Kendon single motorcycle trailer. I pull my Honda VTX 1800 it weighs around 750 lbs, the trailer weighs 300 lbs and applies 10% of load to the tongue, that gives me a tongue weight around 105 lbs. Also if need be the trailer can stand up and store in a garage. This trailer tows like a dream, it has a torsion axle that allows a low tow position. I just towed from Colorado to Arizona and will have around 1000 miles of towing when complete and so far i would not want a different trailer. We did look at other options and did not like the tongue weight or weight applied to the rear of the frame. You can find these trailers used for around 60% of new cost and they are easy to work on as the parts are found at most RV/trailer supply stores.
JohnandMarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The View 5046
You might look at this www.Idahotote.com the best I have seen. GBY..
I like the larger tires and wheels. At 65mph those little wheels are really turning fast. How would you ever know if you had a blow out in any of these?
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
JPHarris

I have a swivel wheel behind a 2009 mobile suite. I carry a Hertiage Softail Classic. It does a wonderful job, I love it. The down side is that the bike will get very dirty if you hit any rain while driving. When I bought mine they only had the single wheel, now they have the double wheel, don't know what one would be better, never had any trouble with the single wheel. Been from Florida to Maine on the east coast and as far west as Indiana, never had any trouble with law enforement for towing it. DRV installed the hitch when they built the trailer, they didn't have any problem with doing it but they did beef the frame up a little.
Hope this helps.

I have the SW58 Swivel Wheel
Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Carny Bill

trailer

Just to let u know what I am towing with.
I am towing a Can Am Spyder on a 6x9 tilt trailer. I did change out tires for better ones for high speed. My hitch was factory installed and rated for 300 lbs tounge weight and 3000 lbs loaded. The spyder only weighs in at 700 lbs. Have not had a bit of trouble with this setup. I am going to try to install some type of rear camera so I can see it if there is a flat tire or something.

Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
poolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHarris
I have a swivel wheel behind a 2009 mobile suite. I carry a Hertiage Softail Classic. It does a wonderful job, I love it. The down side is that the bike will get very dirty if you hit any rain while driving. When I bought mine they only had the single wheel, now they have the double wheel, don't know what one would be better, never had any trouble with the single wheel. Been from Florida to Maine on the east coast and as far west as Indiana, never had any trouble with law enforement for towing it. DRV installed the hitch when they built the trailer, they didn't have any problem with doing it but they did beef the frame up a little.
Hope this helps.

I have the SW58 Swivel Wheel
Hi:

Great to hear! Thanks.

I was concerned about the bike getting very dirty. Have you ever tried putting a cover on the bike? If so, is there one you might recommend (that will stay in place)?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
poolman

Re: trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny Bill
Just to let u know what I am towing with.
I am towing a Can Am Spyder on a 6x9 tilt trailer. I did change out tires for better ones for high speed. My hitch was factory installed and rated for 300 lbs tounge weight and 3000 lbs loaded. The spyder only weighs in at 700 lbs. Have not had a bit of trouble with this setup. I am going to try to install some type of rear camera so I can see it if there is a flat tire or something.

Bill
So, if I understand you correctly; you tow a trailer, but it's not one of those like I'm looking at. Is that correct? Your's doesn't have the wheels that swivel so that the trailer tracks right behind your 5th wheel? Isn't that difficult to back? You must be one heck of a driver!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
morscuba

Great to hear! Thanks.

I was concerned about the bike getting very dirty. Have you ever tried putting a cover on the bike? If so, is there one you might recommend (that will stay in place)?[/quote]

Its easier to get the dirt off than it is the scratches from the cover. The only one I've found is a neoprean that has to be almost specially fitted.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Carny Bill

towing

lol...never back up. I don't know anyone that can backup doubles over a few feet and I know a lot of folks that double. U must plan ahead and drop the little trailer, then back the 5th wheel. Really not a problem at all, Majority of CG u would park in would not have room behind your lot to leave the trailer connected and be able to get the bike unloaded.

Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
poolman

Re: towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny Bill
lol...never back up. I don't know anyone that can backup doubles over a few feet and I know a lot of folks that double. U must plan ahead and drop the little trailer, then back the 5th wheel. Really not a problem at all, Majority of CG u would park in would not have room behind your lot to leave the trailer connected and be able to get the bike unloaded.

Bill
Got it, but that's the beauty of the type of trailer I'm talking about; you can back up if need be.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #15
JPHarris

Poolman, never covered the bike. Has a friend that did that. Scatched it up like you wouldn't believe. I would much rather spend the time cleaning it rather than painting it.

On another note, had a tire come apart yesterday, It looked like I may have hit something and maybe it just came apart. I highly recommend carry a spare for that little tire.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
poolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHarris
Poolman, never covered the bike. Has a friend that did that. Scatched it up like you wouldn't believe. I would much rather spend the time cleaning it rather than painting it.

On another note, had a tire come apart yesterday, It looked like I may have hit something and maybe it just came apart. I highly recommend carry a spare for that little tire.
Great tip (about the cover), I would have probably gotten one & scratched my bike all up. That would have really hurt!

As far as a spare, one comes with the trailer I'm going to get, so that's a done deal. Wouldn't leave home without one that's for sure!

Were you traveling at highway speed when it came apart? if so, how did it handel when it happened? That scares me!!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #17
JPHarris

I'm a little anal about checking tire pressure, I will check it every morning before hitting the road. This is when I found the tire coming apart. I'm glad I found it then rather than going down the road at highway speed. Not sure how the swivel wheel will react with a blown tire. I do have a camera back there to keep an eye on things, it really comes in handy.