Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
MooseSuite

Cat 5 plug 2014 suite

We have a cat 5 plug by the tv. Can't find any other cat 5 on the rig. Should be in the connection bay?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Okie

Some of the new Smart TV's have a cat5 connection for networking to your computer. Must be another connector someplace???

Okie

Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
MooseSuite

Cat 5 plug location

On the 2014 the location is on the left side wall by the tv, above the 110 receptacle.
MooseSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
porkchop

The input is in the water bay.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
MooseSuite

2014 ms Cat 5

Just a phone line in the exterior utility compartment.

Not sure what year the change happened, ie no cat 5 hook up outside. You would think the cat 5 location would be in the entertainment cabinet and opposite wall.

At this point I run cat 5 from modem to router, modem is connected by coax.

I then run cat 5 to net talk and computer.

Anyways there should be a second plug in for cat 5, what's the point of putting one inlet above a 110 plug. Did an engineer at DRV forget to change this from years they had multiple cat 5 inlets.
MooseSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
hitchup

We have a Cat5 on the plate that has the TV remote sender on it. Plus one in the Utility Bay area next to the Sat 1, Sat 2, Cable plate.

Used it or a short time on our 2009 MS, but don't anticipate using it in this one.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
MooseSuite

2014 M S and Cat 5

We have a 2014, the utility bay was added on 2014.5.
Our model still has one utilit bay ie as previous MS model years. Our 2007 had 4 plugs.
Our model, has a plug location by the remote light near the tv.

I can only see one telehone plug in the utility closet, no cat 5. Even looked behind the utility closet for a hanging cat 5 cable. Nada there.

I found a cat 5 jack hidden, marked for roof satelite connection, in the controls and coat closet far right hand wall.

Maybe I should check behind the cat 5 plug for a wire, connection?

I'm bewildered.

Shades of the 2007 electronics closet!
Old 12-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
porkchop

I just went and checked mine again to make sure I was not dreaming. I was not. Cat 5 input in the water bay outside. Cat 5 output connection to the left of TV, above 120v outlet. The same as our 2008, 2009 and 2010 models. YEMV

Bill
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
MooseSuite

Telephone in to cat 5

Cat 5 cable 8 wire is used as standard cable in homes.
The port in your outside is for telephone, which uses 4 wire of the eight wires blue cable, and works with all phone ports in the trailer. However there is a cat 5 port, blu cable which I checked by the tv as discussed, has an 8 wired port, Ethernet, gigabyte port.
On the Internet forums talk about a hub connection when you go from 4 to 8 wire connectivity. Is there one in DRV?
I just have to understand how to use the cat 5 connection. I cannot understand how a 4 wire would interface with a 8 wire connection.
It does say Cat 5 on the outside connection but the connector is 4 wire or telephone, plug in.
A cat 5 inlet beside a cable coax is in the electronics cabinet, sounds right since a high speed modem requires this input.
Last thought you can buy a 4 wire phone jack adapter, and convert the cat 5 if you needed a phone line for your modem ie satellite.
Bewildered
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
porkchop

I have never seen , nor been in your trailer. You have never seen nor been in mine. I am not unknowledgeable about this subject either. I have a EE< PE hanging on my wall plus almost 40 years of practical experience in the field. I do know the difference between a Cat 5 port and a telephone port and what a 4 twisted pair cable looks like. Contrary to your statement, Cat 5 is not the standard cable used in homes in the US yet, nor is all Cat 5 blue. Cat 6E will be probably be the standard soon, but not yet. Don't know about Canada.

I can assure you MY TRAILER has a Cat 5 input in the wet bay and a matching connection by the TV. They are connected together with a Cat 5, 4 pair twisted cable. I have NO telephone ports anywhere in MY trailer.

The jack that was "hidden" in the closet is in fact a direct connection cable between the control box and the after market satellite dish to be mounted on the roof. Straight shot. No other use for this one. Mine does not have a Jack at this location however. There is simply a cable with the proper male plug attached on both ends. It connected directly to my antenna on one end and control box on the other.

As said before, YEMV

Bill
Old 12-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
MooseSuite

Cat 5 understanding

I'm so glad you are the expert just what I need, but don't get aggravated as I am just trying to understand. We have one port in the trailer and one port in the water bay. They support a telephone line, a blue wire I don't know if it is cat 6 e or not. I was reading the Internet and telephone wire is not used on new homes.
Cat 5 is identified on the ports.
There is no Ethernet connections in the trailer.

Sorry, my error.

Our 2007 had a lot of Ethernet ports.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
porkchop

I just got off the phone with my favorite wholesaler. He said they do still sell some "old" untwisted phone wire. It is still used by the "old-timers" in both residential and small businesses where "Ethernet" high speed connections are not required. Phone only. There is a substantial difference in pricing being the reason. He said he is on his last batch of phone cable and will not replace it any longer and that he expects he will quit Cat 5 in the next year and transition to the newer generations as they come out. The technology and materials are changing rapidly. Price also.
Cat 5 is a designation signifying that the wires are in marked pairs and that each pair is twisted at a different # of twists per foot to prevent cross talk or "bleeding". Then they went to Cat 5E, and are transitioning to 6E now. The difference again is mainly the twist rate and addition of certain shielding technologies. And again, price.This is to allow higher speeds and less corruption of data.
I do not know for sure but I imagine the trailer manufactures finally realized that rv park phone service by wire is dying and "high speed" from a system in a rv park is not going to happen and are just using up supplies.
"Ethernet" usually refers to your own internal system connections as opposed to "internet." Most everything has already moved to wireless and thus little or no need in a small space such as a trailer with no competing systems or requirement to connect to main frame as would be encountered in an office or commercial setting.
Again, YEMV

Bill
Old 12-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
MooseSuite

Cabling

Ok, thanks, learning.

Our rv park does supply high speed through coax cable. So the modem they supply I hooked in the cupboard by the Sony tuner, using the spare cable wire DRV supplies three coax cables. Ethernet wire modem to the router then Ethernet wire to our Mac from port one router and Ethernet wire to our net talk duo VoIP phone, port 2. All works perfect.

I didn't realize all ports but one were left, 2007 model to 2014 model. And telephone only, I think it is called an RJ7 jack, used for phone.

My last question to you then is hooking Ethernet cable direct from router to device, not faster than wireless. I understand proximity is a factor but does it make any difference within a 20ft space?

My router has 4ports so I am assuming hooking in direct would matter, I can't find download and upload speeds on my Mac to verify.

Thanks again for your help.

My sons new home is wired for sound, you just have to be a engineer to operate it. Apple TV, net flicks I'm really falling behind.