Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
octanemaniac

Best Hitch/Pin Box combo?

We're still working on a Full House purchase, but regardless we've moved forward with a TV. I'm setting up a 2013 F450 as though it will be a pulling a FH with a 23.5k gross and 4k+ pin weight. The truck will have airbags. After reading through many posts references and manufacturer sites, I am leaning toward the Pullrite OE Series (25k max) and Trail air pin box.

I'm wondering if I can further improve smoothness of ride by going with an air suspension hitch or if that would be overkill? Very impressed by Hensley's, but I'd have to go with their biggest unit - weighing 360lbs, which would be self defeating in terms of being able to use the truck as a pickup while parked (too much work to remove) and that is an important consideration.

Interested in others opinions. Thanks!

(I also posted this question on RV.net but havent' gotten any responses yet).

octanemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
netjam

I have little experience to draw on but my Elite Suite had a mor-ryde pin box and I had a Reese Signature hitch in the truck. It was great. I now have a 5th Airborne pin box with a Reese Elite hitch in the truck. Its OK but not as great as the mor-ryde. The other problem I have with the 5th Airborne is the need to constantly add air.......a problem shared with others I have talked to. Like I said, not much experience here but that's my 2 cents worth.
Towed both trailers with my F-450 (Reese Signature) for a while so the only difference was the pin box. I'd pick the mor-ryde any day.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Carny Bill

Hitch

Morride all the way
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Gemstone

I have both the Trail Air pin and the TrailerSaver Air hitch....different truck, and I do like the ride, but I have different needs. I had the air pin on the rig and a Lil Rocker hitch in the Dodge. When I moved to a big truck, I needed the TrailerSaver hitch, so I ended up with both....

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
terry and jo

We were recently over to Rolling Retreats in Elk City to look at some new Elite Suites. The Elite's are coming standard with the Mor-Ryde IS suspension but Alicia and Slade are ordering the Trail-Air pin boxes to go with that suspension. Slade is very impressed with the combination, so if you want more details, you might give them a call at Rolling Retreats.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
RickandJanice

I'm another Mor/Ryde fan. We use the Mor/Ryde Pin Box with air bags on the truck. This was less cost than the TrailSaver Hitch and a More/Ryde Pin Box. I feel either would be a good match because you will have air between the trailer king pin and the truck suspension to cushion the bounce and the Mor/Ryde Pin Box to cushion the chucking. Also either way would allow air adjustment from the truck cab which is nice when road conditions change while travelling.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
2blackdogs

We have a standard pin box and a Trailersaver. It works great. I look in the mirrors and the trailer is floating.
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
anijet

I use an AirSafe air hitch in the truck and a Demco GlideRide pin box. I've tried a lot of combinations (spent a lot of money) and found this to work the best for us. Air hitch breaks down to three very manageable pieces for removal and install.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Okie

Bob how fast were you driving when the trailer started floating???
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
2blackdogs

Ha Ha !!!
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
hitchup

In July, when we toured a couple of 2014's at a DRV dealer in WI. They had standard pin boxes and we questioned why since they had the Mor/Ryde IS suspension on the Estates and MS. They also carried the Lifestyle Luxury brand. Most of their stock was standard horse or cargo trailers.

She said they always order with standard Lippert pin and the customer can decide which one they want. They keep both the MR and Trailair pins in stock.

We decided we're going with MR pin and MR IS. We've had the TA pin and suspension on 2 other Suites. Then standard pin and no upgrade suspension on a 40' triple axle much lighter SOB.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
duckbill56

HITCH

When I bought the Hensley hitch I was told to lock out the air ride on the pin box. I just installed angle iron to lock out the air bag on the pin box. Will try out this weekend with this set up. Did haul for the last year with both but had the air bag on the pin box maxed out.
Trailer Saver Hitch and Rear bags
Viair onboard air compressor 150#
duckbill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
octanemaniac

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate all the examples of working configurations. Since I'm shooting for a Full House, with two full touring bikes onboard, we're likely going to be pushing the 23.5k GVWR on the trailer.

Everyone seems to agree that there needs to be air in the hitch/pin system.
Opinions are mixed about whether having air in BOTH the hitch and pin box is useful, harmful, or overkill. I think opinions are leaning toward overkill. So the question is where to put the air?

Given the softer suspension in the new F450's, rear airbags on the truck are virtually a requirement. My gut tells me putting air in the hitch system is more robust than the pin box. I like he airsafe 25k Omni-directional so far because it has the Binkley head like the Hensley, but can be disassembled and removed "fairly easily" by hand. The Hensley would take a chain hoist to remove.

So now which pin box? Following my logic, I don't think using an air Pin Box adds value with the AirSafe in place. Since DW is sensitive to chucking, I'm tempted to go with the MorRyde instead of any of the airbag Pin Boxes.

Alternate opinions always welcome. Thanks again.
octanemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
terry and jo

Dale Fenton was the owner/designer of Trail-Air products before he sold them to Lippert. A couple of years ago, I asked Dale about whether there were any problems with having an air ride pin box on an air ride hitch, and he couldn't think of any reason why there would be.

At the time, there were some on some of the forums questioning whether the two would "counter-act" each other. I'm not any kind of engineer (other than the "redneck" type), but I couldn't think of any reason they would counter-act. That's why I asked Dale.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
anijet

We had the factory TrailAir pin box installed when we first installed the AirSafe Omni Direction hitch. It was OK on generally smooth road but when we hit bumps or dips at freeway speed, there was too much movement between the truck and the front of the trailer and it felt out of control. IMO, a single air system is enough.

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote