Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
kfrimr

any number crunchers out there

I am trying to figure out from purely financial numbers what is the best time to trade up our DRV? Considering the deprecation of the current 5th and the increasing cost of the new coaches is there a best time, strictly financially? Does the bottom fall out on the value of an older model or does it continue at the same pace of depreciation? From the best I can tell last year NADA value dropped 3 thousand dollars and I just looked and this year it is 3 also. So does that mean that next year it will be 3 as well? I guess what I am asking is at what age is the greatest drop in value?
Kent

kfrimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Motorcycle Jack

Kent -

I wouldn't go by NADA values as they are never very close to actual prices paid for a used unit, only their suggested guidelines. And as to how much of a drop that depends on your perception of what the starting value was and then how the buyer "sees" the value in your particular vehicle. Here's a for instance: You bought your 2010 (let say) at your local dealer for under MSRP @ 112,000 for 102,000. You are trying to sell it in 2012 for lets say 92K. An astute buyer knows that he could have bought the unit at a discount dealer for 85K new and may think that after two years it's only valued at 72K. So there's a big difference. And to make matters even muddier NADA says the 112K unit should sell for 100K! A lot of variance there, and who's got the correct price on a unit like yours?

My take has always been that I research the heck out of what units like mine are selling for (or at least asking price) then I price mine accordingly. NADA be damned - it aint worth the paper they're printed on.

Motorcycle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
hitchup

I agree about NADA. If you try to get a # for a custom unit like ours, they don't even have all the addon's, so it comes up short.

There is no best time to buy new. It's like a new car, do you want to rollover negative equity into a new loan or can you work a good deal?

It doesn't hurt to question the experts. Email a couple of dealers for price lists and see what they can offer you for a new unit as well as your trade-in.

Earlier this year, we tried it and decided rolling $22,000 into a new RV wasn't worth it. There weren't enough trade-offs for us, since we're hoping to retire in a couple of years.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote