Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
jwbups

front legs dropping

Noticed last week that the front legs had lowered by their self. Raised the legs and the trailed stayed level all week. Went inside this afternoon and opened the main slide a few feet and the front legs dropped again. any suggestions, as heading south after the new year and should it be addressed befofe setting up for the winter months. thanks Jim

2006 Elite Suite #3207 ,
jwbups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Walt

I would run the slides out and in a few times to clear out any air bubbles. Bedroom first, kitchen second and door side last. Then reverse. Door side first, kitchen second and bedroom last. They say not to move the slides half way. Always move them completly out or in, in the above sequence. If you have Level-Up run that too just like your setting up for the night.

Happy Holidays!!

Walt

2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
RickandJanice

You could try cycling the slides in and out in a few time in the recommended order. If an air bubble has formed, this will chase it back to the pump reservoir and possibly solve the problem. If this does not work and you see no fluid leaks anywhere, then the seals on the rams are probably about worn out. We had this problem just before our seals gave out last summer and the jacks started dropping when traveling down the road. Had to replace the rams inside the jacks.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Motor31

Air bubbles don't just form up with the rig sitting there. I am assuming the rig was parked and you found the nose lower when you returned. If that is the case you have almost certainly developed a leaking internal seal in one of the front rams. The front legs dropping in transit is another symptom of the same thing. The solution is to replace the leaking ram(s). Lippert uses cheap chinese manufactured rams and they are not rebuild able.

This is not a terribly difficult operation and can even be done by the owner. It will require raising the front to full extension and holding it there while you also dig a hole below the leg. The front ram is long and you will need to remove it from the bottom. Bleeding the system afterwards can be tedious but not all that bad if you have ever bled brakes.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
duckbill56

Same problem on our 2009. Lippert will change out the front legs this spring under warranty. Tired of using the level up jacks to get the front ones to stay up.
Trailer Saver Hitch and Rear bags
Viair onboard air compressor 150#
duckbill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
jwbups

Camping world tried to fix

Took trailer to CW in Grand rapids on tuesday, they said that the control valve was faulty and needed a new one. Problem is that Lippert was closed for shipping parts until this coming Tuesday. Leaving for Detroit area on Sat thru monday for Xmas with youngest son and family then headed to Fla. from there. Now have to go back west to Goshen Ind, where Lippert has their repair facility for them to do repair. Lippert told me its a half hour job. I was told I could use the legs and slide outs independently by opening and closing the valve by hand. It has worked as I brought the trailer back home and uncoupled and legs worked okay, then twisted valve and have opened the slides a couple times and closed them as do not want snow or ice on the slide toppers. I had not known this valve allowed the separate use so putting it out if other have the problem in the future. I believed it was a faulty seal in one of the legs.
2006 Elite Suite #3207 ,
jwbups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
skiptamm

We had that happening to ours. Finally think we found it. 3 times reapir and replace attempted. finally found a loose fitting on the back of the manifold. We were not losing any fluid, but they would drop down.

Jackie, Skip and Seumas Tamm

2008 MS 36TKSB3
Seumas our Westie Guard Dog
skiptamm is offline   Reply With Quote