Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
terry and jo

Rear Kitchen Slide Wiring Support Strap

OK, guys. I know this topic has been discussed before, but there are new owners on here occasionally (as if I wasn't new myself) and they may not have seen the discussions involving broken support straps.

Anyway, ours broke a while back and I just finished fixing it this evening. Since the break was right at the frame, I chose to use a hinge as a base point for attaching the strap. I picked up 4 1/2" door hinge at Lowes along with four 5/16th inch by 3/4 inch long bolts with flat and lock washers.

To match the hinge to the original frame holes, I had to drill out a center hole in the size of the self-tapping screw that was used for attaching the strap to the frame. With the holes in the hinge being bigger, I used flat washers on those two screws.

Then I cut off part of the broken strap to make it even for attaching to the hinge. That took me the longest since I didn't unhook everything before doing this job. Also, I was using an old hacksaw with what I think is an even OLDER hacksaw blade.

I clamped the strap to the free part of the hinge with two small vice grip plyers and drilled out new holes to match the hinge holes.

So, now if you are really bored, enjoy the pictures.

Terry

EDIT: I found a better picture of the broken strap and replaced one with crappy resolution with one that is better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_8039_362.jpg (98.4 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_8048_285.jpg (103.4 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_7753_791.jpg (109.8 KB, 332 views)

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
terry and jo

One more photo. Had to put it in a separate post due to the number of pictures per post limit.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_8049_195.jpg (103.4 KB, 337 views)

Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
golf_bears

Nice job Terry!

My 2008 MS has not had this problem yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Your explanation of how to fix is great and I have booked marked it for future reference.

Thanks for posting solution with pictures.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Carny Bill

Straps

Yes, unfortunely the day will come. I have had to do same on on 04,06,& 09. An easy fix, but a pain.
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
terry and jo

Here is something that I didn't notice before. In that first picture showing the break, it appears that when they attached the strap to the frame, it was attached in the reverse direction of what the other end of the strap has been attached.

I may need to look things over again under there. Does anyone know why DRV would attach the support strap so that it formed an "S" instead of bowing in the form of a "C"? With the "S" configuration, it is easy to see why the strap broke at the frame. It was being forced into an unnatural shape.

On my other straps, they are all attached in a way that the strap forms a "C". But with this one, it appears that the frame connection was configured with the end facing the rear of the coach, while the other end at the exterior of the slide would be facing forward.

Or, am I seeing things wrong?

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
dalehandsome

Hi Terry and Jo,
We noticed that your unit is #5332 and our 38TKSB3 is #5334. We have enjoyed your posts and wanted to say Hi. Right now we are living full time in Forsyth, Georgia doing missionary work for our Church. We will be here about 18 months and then we hope to get on the road and meet some of the good people on this site. We also had the same strap break on our unit. We took it back to the dealer and they were about to install the new one just as the old one had been installed. The new one actually came with a swivel type hinge and they cut it off. Fortunately, we caught them before it was installed and they brought out another new one, with the hinge, and installed it. So far we have been very happy with our unit with few problems. Perhaps we are just too new and dumb to know that we have problems. There has been some talk about seamless windows. How do you know if you have seamless windows? We haven’t had any problems but would like to know what we do have. Take care and have a blessed day!
dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
rotaxman

Frameless windows

Hi Marion and Dale

You have the framless windows if you look at the windows on the ends of your door side slide you will see what the framed windows looked like.

All of the windows on the units before the 09's had that type of windows all the way around.

So far the windows are the only thing that I have not had problems with. ( except for the fact that all of the knobs on the inside were about to fall off) But I am concerned that the framless windows might be more prone to leaking than the old frame type. I noticed on the tops of all the framless windows that the Amish craftsman have smeared a large amount of clear silicon sealant and in most cases they don't do a very good job at sealing things.

Hope things are going well for you two looking forward to seeing you again when you get back.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

support straps

Terry,
You may have the world record for a support strap lasting the shortest period of time--I got my trailer used in '07 and it took almost a year more before one broke. Since then all have broken, including a replacement piece. Did the hinge trick and now seems all is well. Was at the factory last month and they installed the hinges where still needed.
As to the 'S' bend, take a look at it when closed to be certain it is actually doubling back on itself--should just be in a long curve in one direction.

Besides being a bad design, I suspect cold weather slide operation hastens the break quite a bit.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
mcfarlak

Can't see the pictures of the fix.
mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
RonS

Ken - You need to log in to see pictures.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
terry and jo

Ken,

The photos take a bit of time to load up, so if you log in, go to the thread, and immediately go down to the bottom, you may miss seeing them.

Because you had obviously logged in to post your comment, they might not have come up fast enough. If you still can't see them, there is a link to a Photobucket account at the bottom of my posts, under my signature. You can click on that link to go to that account. The pictures are in a folder entitled "RV Repair Photos" (or something like that) in the "Our New Home" folder.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
sje

slide strap supports

terry , I looked at your pics and it shows that the wires are covered by some kind of corrugated plastic to protect them. my wires and propane lines were completely destroyed by a chinese blowout. did not do any damage except for the wires , propne line and strap support. I cant remember if mine had that or was it something only on newer modesl mine is a 2007. sje
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
RickandJanice

Our 2006 has the corrugated wire loom. I have also done the same repair to the support straps. Even used a hinge for one that broke in the middle of the strap. Mounted the one in the middle of the strap "backward" so it would not close tight and pinch the wires in the middle of the strap.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Red Ram

I have done the hinges on mine also, but I think if it happens again I will go to a mill supply store and buy some conveyor belting that is made out of rubber. It is stiff enough but is flexiable enough that it should last forever. However I would still use the hinges, just makes it easier on the stress point.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #15
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
piano hinges work very well also.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
jdwilson3

Just make sure the piano is no longer attached!