Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
wanderingwingers

Propane Tank Gauge

We have a 2010 38 rssb3 and on the paperwork for my propane tanks it does not show the picture of the exact gauge that I have. I am trying to determine when I need to fill the tanks but they both seem to be emptying at the same time. There looks like there is a horizontal window under the tank select lever but I have not ever seen anything turn red like my old travel tailer tanks did. I have the lever pointing down and I assume that one tank will or should empty first. Then the red for that side should show up letting me know to get that tank filled. I guess I will eventually know for sure when we no longer have heat at night. :shock:

What do some of you do? Do you just use one side then when it runs out switch the lever then go fill the empty or do you rely on the gauge?

2010 MS 38RSSB3 #5378
2010 Ford F450
2008 Honda Goldwing Gl1800
www.wanderingwingers.blogspot.com
wanderingwingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
The View 5046

Several years back I would keep one Propane tank turn off until the tank that was open, then when it was empty, I would open the other tank. However the tank would alway run out between 2:00 am and 5:00 am.

I now have a extra 40 lb tank and now leave both tanks open and when the red appears I turn the switch over to the full tank and remove the empty and get it refilled. I always keep a full spare tank.

There is a company making propane tanks that are clear and you can see how much propane is in the tank. But they were only making 30 pounders and below. They are very expensive. Good Luck..

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
golf_bears

I always keep one tank on and one off. That way I know exactly when the one tank runs out even if it is between 2 AM - 5 AM.

And I have a nice scar in the forehead from bumping on the corner of the bed room slide at 3:30 AM one morning after going out to switch the tanks over!!!! Ouch!!!!!

Still leave only one tank on and one off, one of these days I smarten up!!!!
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Motor31

I use the old warm water over the side of the tank trick to find out how much propane is in the tank. pour warm water over the side and then run your hand where the water was. The metal will be warm above the level of propane. If there is no cold line on the side, it is empty. If it is cold enough to form frost on the tank the frost will stop at the propane level in the tank in the daytime.

On my rig the switching valve points to one tank when it is draining that tank. It does not stay in the middle. When the tank runs dry it will switch over to the full tank internally so I still have to manually check the level myself. In the winter I keep a closer look at propane usage so I don't run out both tanks. I only open both valves when the main tank (in front so it's easier to move for filling) is almost empty so I don't lose heat at 0200 hours. The old 6p's saying comes to mind.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
terry and jo

My "aid to determining" LPG levels is a bit different and calls for a discerning ear.

When handled, the sound of an empty tank (especially a 40# bottle) has a different "ring" to it than what a full one does. If uncertain as to the level of LPG in the bottle one can tap the bottle beginning at the top and working down in something like 1" increments until one hears the different sound given when LPG is at that level.

Motor31's solutions is the best, easiest on the knuckles, and much more accurate method of determining the level. Much better than the "tap and listen" method. But, if warm or hot water isn't necessarily available, the tap and listen will do in a pinch.

If there is no discernable difference in sound by tapping down the side, then I take a screwdriver and loosen the bleeder screw on the side of the valve to judge how much pressure is escaping. To verify that the pressure escaping is definitely less, I also loosen the bleeder screw on the tank that seems to be the fullest to see which tank allows vapor to escape the fastest.

Of course, it is important to make sure the bottles are out of the compartment when loosening the bleeder screw.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
2 DA WDS

I always leave both tanks open and turn the lever to use the inside tank. I use a Marshall Gas Controls RCI-24 Remote Changeover Indicator to let me know when the tank empties. They are available online and at some rv dealers.
It clips on top of the regulator and wires to a light that flashes when the tank you are using runs out. I mounted the light in the pantry so we always notice it within a day of it coming on.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
jas24

I only use 1 tank at a time and use it until it is empty. Then I take the empty and have it filled and put in in the rear position and use the front tank until it is empty and then do it all over again.
That way I will never run out of propane in both tanks at the same time.

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #8
Maxy28

It’s an attachable contraption with a built in meter which you place on your tank. One great advantage this gadget will give you is that it can tell you whether there’s a gas leak. They aren’t that expensive. Investing such an amount for this helpful instrument has a lot of advantages.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
porkchop

You mentioned that you have the lever pointed down. That causes the 2 tanks to drain at the same time. Point it sideways toward one tank or the other. That way one tank will be primary until it empties. Then it will automatically switch over to the other. All you need to do is look for the solid red window every once in a while, and get that tank refilled. No running empty in the middle of the night !!

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote