Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2021, 01:38 AM   #1
Wahoo

2013 38RSSB3 Purchase....yes or no

Paint is good, previous owner hit a branch or the way to trade so a new TPO roof was installed. Dealer is servicing including suspension and new tires as well as all systems check.
A quick search shows this model has the schwintec slide system for the bedroom which does not appear popular here. Unit has Morryde IS suspension and oil bath bearings....never had either one on a trailer before....
Tow vehicle is a 2019 F350 dually with B and W 3300 hitch. Previous trailer was 2006 KZ Escalade coming in around 16.5 loaded.
Any experience/opinion you can share is much appreciated.

Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
GTM

You should be good on the truck. As for the DRV I feel over all they are a good unit. If the dealer is putting on a new roof and checking everything else you should be good. Just make sure everything is in working order before you leave the lot. Make sure the batteries are new. Are they offering any type of warranty? Look real close at the rear cap. If you notice any loose screws of gaps between the cap and trailer walls it Might be having a rear cap issue which can be fixed with some bracing. I added the bracing on mine as preventative maintenance

GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #3
Wahoo

Thank you for the reply. These things are not that complicated but there is some complexity in all the systems. Appreciate the tip on the rear cap, will check it out.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Pvsaint

I had a 2013 38TKSB3 that also had the Lippert Schwintec on the bedroom slide. The complete system was replaced 3 times in the five years I owned it.

First time was by Sunshine RV in Lake Havasu. Second time it was replaced at the DRV facilties in Howe, IN and the third time was by Lippert at their factory in Goshen. The weight of the slide is just too much for the schwintec system to handle.

When the slide would not operate we were unable to access the bedroom or the bathroom which was until repairs could be made. I will never again buy a camper that does not allow access to these areas when the slides are in.
2021 Ram 3500 dually, 6.7 HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 differential
Pvsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
Wahoo

Thank you. We passed on the unit...I liked it but the Admiral was not in favor. Hopefully find another, more suitable unit soon.