Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
2 DA WDS

Furnace runs too much?

I think my furnace runs too much. It seems like it shuts off for a little while then starts up again then runs a while then shuts off. So, I bought a thermometer and put it by the thermostat this morning and recorded what it did. The outside temp was 45.
The furnace started running and the inside temp was 71.4.
Ater 4min.10sec it shut off and the temp was 72.0.
After 6min it started again the temp was still 72.0
off in 3.10 temp 72.3
on in 4.55 temp 72.1
off in 4.46 temp 72.3
on in 6.29 temp72.3
off in 4.15 temp72.5
on in 5.45 temp 72.3
off in 4.0 temp 72.5

Is this the way other MS furnaces operate? I dont recall my other MS working this way. Also the air flow is not strong enough to blow an 81/2x11 sheet of paper off the register.

I have also been using the heatpump and it seems to operate the same way although I have not time & temped it. But the other night I noticed that the blower had stopped on the heat pump but I could still hear the compressor running. After a few minutes the blower kicked back on.
When the temp gets too low for the heatpump to function is the thermostat supposed to automatically switch over to the furnace?

This is an early build 05 RE3 that has a small white sensor in the bedroom under the overhead cabinet over the dresser and that is the only one. I am assuming that the thermostat itself controls the furnace but not sure what the small white sensor controls.

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
This is an early build 05 RE3 that has a small white sensor in the bedroom under the overhead cabinet over the dresser and that is the only one. I am assuming that the thermostat itself controls the furnace but not sure what the small white sensor controls.
On my RE3 there is another sensor above the desktop in the rear of the unit.

This is the sensor that the 5 button control uses for the furnace and all zone 1 control. It doesn't work very well in this location. Because it is to close to the window in that little cove in the rear. So when the sun comes in that window or I have the light next to the sensor turned on I have to adjust the AC or it will never shut off. Then at night when it is cold outside it is really cold it that area where the sensor is so I have to turn the temp. way down.

The sensor that you spoke of is for zone 2, front AC and heat pump.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
morscuba

First hang your thermo next to the sensor(s). Thats where your thermostat is getting the temp readings from. My guess with the air flow problem is that you have a disconnected duct or duct(s), mine did that. As for the heat pump that is what its supposed to do. It is de-icing the compressor. Hope this helps stay warm. Its been in the low 30's where Im at right now and the HP and 2 small space heaters are keeping the MS warm.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Gemstone

The reason ours was running too much was too many drafts. The gap at floor level for the bedroom slide and more importantly the kitchen slide is pitiful. I stuff the gap with high density foam to cut out the air exchange.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Gemstone,
The RE3s don't have the draft problem with the kitchen slide.
They have a flush floor slide like the door side.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
2 DA WDS

Huck, Mine does not have the sensor at the rear. Actually when DW closes the door to the bedroom the thermostat and the sensor are both cut off from the living area and the A/C or heat really runs forever.
Like its doing right now :lol:

morscuba, I've checked the ducting twice, no such luck.

Gemstone, Like Huck said, no draft in the kitchen but I do get sunlight coming in the bed slide. DRv sent me a seal to correct it but I havent figured out how to install it. Right now I cut a swim noodle in half lengthwise and stuff in in the underside and it works pretty good. I have a feeling that it is even better than the seal would be!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Jack in Alaska

Those swimming pool noodles are sure handy. I use two chunks on each side of my TV to hold it still when traveling. I also split a 16" piece, then cut it in the middle at a 45 degree, glued them together and use it on the bedroom slide corner outside to keep me from jabbing my head on it.
I use what is left in the swimming pool. :lol:

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
2 DA WDS

Jack, one of my neighbors was talking to me a while back while I was dumping as he turned to go he bounced his shaved head off one of my noodles on the corner of the bedroom slide. I wondered why you had them on there he said!