Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
shergry

36SB3 sise by side washer/dryer

Just a question for those people that are currently using washer/dryers. In the 36SB3 the only options are either combo or side by side washer/dryer. Have been looking hard at LG Combo, ever used one? Or what is the best for a side by side? Wud really like to get out of laundromat! Thanks for YO.

MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
shergry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
SuiteWheels

shergry, I have not heard of a side by side in a MS....I have the Kenmore stackables and use all the time. We have only had one time that water poured out like a river and hubby told me I had overloaded....I can put my King size sheets in but do not add anything else from now on and no problems. Really love the convenience of having my own washer/dryer.

SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
shergry

Hey thanks for replying. The only thing that I can say about a side by side is that is is like having 2 seperate machines. On a traditional stackable they are totally connected, have heard some talk about Kenmore and such...I looked on internet for these models and they are showing a traditional (apartment type) model. I think I read your story of water fall , it sure was good reading, I hope that I only read about these kinds of stories . Thanks again for the reply. Happy Camping .
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
DebDav

We have a 36SB3. We installed a Maytag side by side W/D. I had an electrician provide a 240 VAC circuit for the dryer.

It is the best thing about 5th wheel living! She (we) have many quarters available for other things. We can run a load anytime and with 240V the clothes dry very fast.

The 240 VAC circuit was installed in the main plug compartment. A new cable was secured under the trailer and snaked through the battery compartment, up under the bed and into the W/D area. A plug is surface mounted behind the dryer. I can use either a 120 VAC or 240 VAC dryer.
2007 SB3 #3394
2005 F350 DRW
DebDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
shergry

Well Hey now we are talking!!! That sound great, DH is a wiz at electronics and love to fix things . No really this will help, the cost of the machines is less too? Thanks for the details on how to wire up. Hey also saw where u were talking about pump...we had the great dealer fill the fresh tank and then put the winterizing tube in the belly. Well once the water was drained from the tank, the valve was left on the winterizing and so we had a belly full of water. Went back to dealer and all was dried out and so far HAPPY . There are so many valves, buttons, and switches I get a headache just looking at them all.
We do LOVE the space . Can u tell I am having a blast with the emoticons, sorry if offend . Thanks again for help, Happy Camping fellow SB.
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
Old 04-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
hitchup

We have the factory installed Kenmore. They are stacked, but are two separate units. The washer comes out on a roller. In your SB, it wouldn't need the roller mechanism.

The 110/120v dryer does take longer than a residential, but it's still much faster than the Majestic front loading units we had in the previous 5er. Plus, I'm not in a big hurry to fold clothes anywhooo.

As fulltimers, there's just no way we would be without. We are in a 30amp space now & I can still use the w/d. Thank goodness!
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
RodeWorthy

If you are considering moving outside the offerings that Doubletree has listed (DT likes the Nationwide service availability of the Kenmore products -good point) you might want to consider a front loader washer. The front loader will use less water and will spin the clothes to almost dry giving the 120V dryer a head start to complete the dry cycle.

Whirlpool has a matching set that is used in many RVs. It can be adapted to a M/E Suite.

Washer model is LHW0050PQ4, 120V 12 A. Max load is 15.4 lb
Dryer model is LBR3822PQ1, 120V 12 A.

If you do go this route, be aware you must use special detergent for front loader washers.

Rodeworthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
shergry

Ok, great point, and thank you for the info. The other question that DH has is the vented and ventless dryer. Regardless of time to dry, which is better. Less wrinkles, less energy (when in a park for a month u know that some $ for kw.). Thank you all, great into.
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
westx

RodeWorthy the Whirlpool washer and dryer is what we have. Lowe's special ordered and installed.

When we purchased our 2003 we did not have plumbed for w/d. After going full time in Sept. 2006 my husband plumbed and wired himself. He built a shelf in closet to put the dryer on. Front load washers do use less water and spin very dry taking less time dry.

The laundry soap recommended is HE(high efficiency) and has a front load washer on front. Several brands make it.

I love my washer/dryer.
Fulltimers since Sept. 06
westx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
RodeWorthy

Westx,
Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Whirlpool washer and dryer. That will be our choice too as we move ahead with our order. I don't take credit for finding these models -that would go to AKline and she also likes hers. I have seen them in other RVs since and they look very good.

Did your husband have any issues with installing the dryer vent into the wall? I have to think about that a bit before I take a saw to it :P

Thanks for the clarification on the HE detergent.

Rodeworthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
westx

RodeWorthy:

Westx is a perfectionist when doing anything. I do not interfer when he is working because I know he is doing it right. He got a 4" hole saw. You know the saying measure twice and cut once. Well I think he measured 100 times and cut once. It looks like it came on the trailer. Every MS he saw he asked if they had w/d. He looked at lots of trailers and our friends who have MS took pictures, etc. That is all he had to go by. But he is not for hire!
Fulltimers since Sept. 06
westx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
jdwilson3

vented vs unvented dryer

Absolutely get the VENTED. Clothes dry faster in a vented unit.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
shergry

Hey I agree that clothes dry faster in a vented unit, but what about the cost to run the dryer? $ per kw can go as high as 0.18, yeah I know that does not sound like much but can add up with a/c, lights, fan and then w/d. Just trying to be as cost effective as possible.
DH is game for anything, also when you cut a vent for dryer, what kind of vent is used? Had thot about the vent like the oven uses (exhaust fan). Again thank you all for the replies, big purchase, big decision.
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
DebDav

I went to the big box (Home Depot) and purchased a residential dryer vent kit and a tube of silicone caulk. I had to trim the tube to fit length wise. The hole cutting was a snap - measure twice, etc. Four screws and caulk top and sides.

I located the vent high on the wall. It is just below the top of the dryer. Made it easy to connect the dryer hose and tighten the clamp.

Done! Works great. Dryer sheet smell when operation!! Lots of envious neighbors.
2007 SB3 #3394
2005 F350 DRW
Old 04-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
shergry

Looks like I know were I am going this weekend. Also, I am one of those envyious neighbors that smells all those dryer sheets, isn't that like smelling chocolate chip cookies baking
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
Motor31

I imagine that chocolate chip cookies aren't nearly as chewy as drier sheets.......... :P
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
Wife of Big Doofus

We are going to go ahead & let the dealer install the Kenmore units in our 36SB3 before we pick it up. We were set to pick it up yesterday but the w/d hasn't arrived. Hope they get them in soon! They were supposed to have ordered them last Wednesday, but they say they (the dealership) say they haven't heard when they will get them. They said they called the factory & the factory gets Sears to send them. Anyone know how long it should take for them to receive them once ordered?
Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
shergry

I went on DT site and saw what they feel is appropriate for a side X side. I could get that particular units for 1/2 the cost our dealership wanted....$1.500. I would rather spend precious quarters then spend that kind of $$. So I would look at all the threads and if you can wait a few days look into Home Depot, Lowes, Sears , etc yourself. We are very glad we waited to get what we wanted.
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
DebDav

I bought my Maytag side by side units at Home Depot when they went on clearance due to low sales activity. Paid $780.00 for both units.

Got them home and installed dryer by myself. Washer is a little heavier. The lawn cutting crew was enlisted to assist. Cost a $20.00 bill to lift and shoehorn the washer.

Best thing we have installed. Yes, quarter machines would be less expensive but,

1. MY dirt - no grease from others that do not care.

2. Can wash anytime and in our home.

3. Adjustable heat and time - clothes last longer, look better.

Again, SHE appreciates the effort.
2007 SB3 #3394
2005 F350 DRW
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
Wife of Big Doofus

I guess I am going to wait on the w/d installation. The dealer found out this week that it will be another 2-3 weeks before they would receive them. We are about 400 miles away & I want to go pick up my MS ASAP so I just cancelled my order.

This will give me more time to look around & read up on the different brands. Then I'll just have to get "Big Doofus" to install them for me.

Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote