Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
rorr1821

Gasoline generator install

I plan on installing an Onan gasoline generator on my new 5th wheel which will have the generator prep package. The Onan 7000 electronic fuel injection (EFI) model 7 HGJAA-97 is my first choice and the second choice is the 7 HGJAB-6756 carburetor evap model. Both models meet the new evap law for trailer installation. I will be using a gasoline tank made by ECI Fuel systems. Both the 5500 kw and 7000 kw have the same footprint and about the same weight so using the larger KW unit is a no brainer. The reason I do not want LPG is because the generator will empty a LPG tank in about 10-15 hours and the tanks are a pain to refill. A gasoline generator uses about ,7 gallons per hour at half load. The cost for the generator and hardware is about $5500 and I do the installation. The difference between the Evap and EFI model is the fuel pump cost of $300.

Has anyone installed or had installed a gasoline generator in their 5th wheel unit and how satisfied are you with your unit. I am particularly interested in hearing about the EFI model? __________________

rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
hitchup

We've had diesel and we've had LP. Gas is more volatile, so never even considered it.

We carry 2 extra 40# LP tanks in the rear hitch tote on the Suite. Never been without power for more than 3 days in a Hurricane.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
rorr1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup View Post
We've had diesel and we've had LP. Gas is more volatile, so never even considered it.

We carry 2 extra 40# LP tanks in the rear hitch tote on the Suite. Never been without power for more than 3 days in a Hurricane.

My preference would be diesel but no one makes a unit in the 5kw+ area that has smaller profile like the gasoline units and are within a reasonable price range. I briefly considered the Onan 3200 diesel but after speaking with Cummins/Onan it became a non-consideration.

I am of the opinion that LPG and gasoline are both very volatile, so extreme care and awareness are important.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Chandler

I have the Onan carburetor model. I would think the EFI model would be better. I have been looking to replace my fuel tank, which is a marine type tank. I have to take it out and sit it on the ground when I run it. Don't know why they didn't install a permanent tank.
I am interested in the ECI fuel tanks. Where/how do you plan to put the fuel tank? I was thinking it would be OK to install it in the basement area since it would be vented and fueled from the exterior of the fifth wheel.
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Bugcatcher

I just recently look at a coach with a diesel ten unit, the fuel tank was mounted in the basement on the drivers side close to the front wall. For me it would make more sense to mount it on the passenger side in the little cut-out where the inverter is. Maybe put a plywood bulkhead or some fireproof material between the inverter and the fuel tank.
Bugcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
rorr1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
I have the Onan carburetor model. I would think the EFI model would be better. I have been looking to replace my fuel tank, which is a marine type tank. I have to take it out and sit it on the ground when I run it. Don't know why they didn't install a permanent tank.
I am interested in the ECI fuel tanks. Where/how do you plan to put the fuel tank? I was thinking it would be OK to install it in the basement area since it would be vented and fueled from the exterior of the fifth wheel.
Go to www.ecifuelsystems.com I plan on putting it into the bay area. It is a sealed tanks with a vent which go outside of the unit. I have seen these installed in 2 different DRV's. One was a factory install so I was told which they no longer do, and the other was a dealer install.

The best pricing seems to be www.rvautoparts.com
Old 09-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Chandler

My inverter is in the compartment with the furnace, waste tanks, wiring, plumbing and all. I was looking at putting a narrow and tall one behind the generator and battery compartments. They make them different shapes and sizes.
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
rorr1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugcatcher View Post
I just recently look at a coach with a diesel ten unit, the fuel tank was mounted in the basement on the drivers side close to the front wall. For me it would make more sense to mount it on the passenger side in the little cut-out where the inverter is. Maybe put a plywood bulkhead or some fireproof material between the inverter and the fuel tank.
I agree. To confirm they had a 10kw diesel generator in a 5th wheel?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Bugcatcher

No sir, I believe it was a 5500W Cummins diesel. The coach was at Explore USA in Boerne, Tx. It was factory installed in an Elite Suites. Sorry for the mistake in prior post!
Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
rorr1821

Quote:
No sir, I believe it was a 5500W Cummins diesel. The coach was at Explore USA in Boerne, Tx. It was factory installed in an Elite Suites. Sorry for the mistake in prior post!
I have seen the unit in Boerne. It is a Onan 5500 gas evap model which the dealer said they installed. And I might add they did a poor job on the install because they did not connect the vent hose to the ECI tank so it could be routed outside. Also the location of the tank in the bay waste a lot a storage area. Locating it on the passenger side between the steel generator enclosure and the unit wall makes more sense. Just my opinion!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Bugcatcher

The one that I saw was a Cummins 5500 Diesel and they told me that it was ordered from the factory that way along with the satellite system! That at time of delivery the customer was being disrespectful to the GM and that the owner cancelled the sale and refunded the customers money. If this is BS please let me know and I will stay away from that dealer! I live close to that dealer, if you want me to go and double check that gen install I'd be glad to.
Tracy
Old 09-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
Bugcatcher

Wel I just talked to the dealer and you are right that the factory didn't do the install, but a 3rd party locally did, for the genset and the sat. system, but it is a 5500W Cummins diesel genset.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Cummins12V98

Factory would not allow Cummins/Onan install a 6500 LP "Commercial" gen even tho it is exactly the same as the one they offer with 120V only.

I had DRV do the Gen prep then had RollingRetreats do the Gen. Why have a 240V dryer if you can't run it with the gen?????

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
rorr1821

Quote:
Wel I just talked to the dealer and you are right that the factory didn't do the install, but a 3rd party locally did, for the genset and the sat. system, but it is a 5500W Cummins diesel genset.
I have talked with Cummins rep and he told me that they had a 3200kw diesel and the next size up is the 6000KW. He also said, say away from the 3200 diesel and go with gasoline 5500 or 7000 which has the same footprint size. I have been searching the internet looking for a diesel in the 5500kw range and can not find one.

One of the salesman at Explorer told me about a week ago that the dealership did the install and apparently they told you a 3rd party. If your information came from one of those salesman at Explorer RV then I understand the confusion.

My philosophy is believe half of what salesman tells you and check everything using another source.

Thanks for your input and comments, everything is welcome!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
rorr1821

Cummins12V98:

It seems that I read that you came out of a DRV 36RXXX and moved up to a larger size. What is the difference in the overall length of you new and old unit? Also do you find it anymore difficult in making tight turn? We were set on the 36RSS3 but now the wife is talking about the 38RSB3 because of the bathroom size in the 36RSS3.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Bugcatcher

My apologies to you sir (rorr1821). I just got a call from the Gen. Man. atExplore USA and he told that it actually was a Gas Genset. I sorry for sticking my nose in where it probably doesn't belong. Darn Sales people! Learned a lesson today!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Bugcatcher

Are all dryers in RV's 240V?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:49 AM   #18
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Are all dryers in RV's 240V?
It's usually an option. A well worth option for sure!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 AM   #19
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Cummins12V98:

It seems that I read that you came out of a DRV 36RXXX and moved up to a larger size. What is the difference in the overall length of you new and old unit? Also do you find it anymore difficult in making tight turn? We were set on the 36RSS3 but now the wife is talking about the 38RSB3 because of the bathroom size in the 36RSS3.

Yes it was a 07.5 36SB3. The new one is a 39TKSB3 with a 38??? kitchen/entertainment slide. The 39 is about 39' 6 or 8" long and the 36 was at least 2-2.5' shorter I don't remember. We have an nice big bathroom and shower, big in comparison to the 36!

Turning I do not notice any difference, backing into a spot you do need to allow a bit more room to turn. No real bid deal.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #20
AlmostRetired

I have a 2016 ES PS3 delivered in June. It has a 5500W Onan gasoline genset installed at the factory. The 14 gal fuel tank is positioned in the main cargo area driver's side forward. It looks like an ECI tank. It also is vented through a double charcoal canister so there is virtually no off-gassing odors. I boondock frequently and it's always easier to find gasoline than propane.

AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote