Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
dalehandsome

Lubrication of Slide Mechanism

Our 2010 38 tksb3 MS has been stationary for ten months and we will soon be moving it to another location. I was wondering if I should lubricate the mechanisms on the slides before pulling them in. The DRV owner’s manual states “Lubricate slide- tubes with Lithium grease”, and Lippert instructions say “No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system”. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this matter?

Dale

dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
RodeWorthy

Slide lubricant

The guys in the service area at DRV recommend liberal application of silicone spray. Others have used candle wax. There are many posts on this in the forum. Do a search.

The bottom line is to use a dry lubricant to minimize contamination collecting on the gear mechanism.

I use silicone spray and it works for me. It is not technically a lubricant but then as pointed out in your post a lubricant is not required. I apply the spray when the slide becomes noticeably noisy when operated. After the spray treatment the slide moves quietly and smoothly.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
47hook

Don't use the spray sllide lube that leaves any residue that will feel waxy...can't really expain it better than that. One shop used that type spray to fix a problem of a sticking living room sllide and it took about a can of WD-40 to remove it to actually fix the worse sticking problem that showed up a few days later...the good folks at Cross RV said just use WD-40 and or sillicone spray...has worked just fine for the last few years that way.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
RGordon

I worry more about the dust and dirt on the hydraulic cylinders especially if I have had the slides out for some time. The grit will do harm to the seals in the cylinders and I don't worry about the rest. Most lubricates will only attract more dirt.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Cheif 2

Give Lippert a call. When I was getting my levelers installed a couple of Lippert Tech guys were there and they advised using a product made by CRC. I can't recall which spray it was and I am currently far from my MS, so I can't get to the can. They said that the gear mechanisim should be sprayed and that you should spray in toward the area the gear goes when retracted. As far as the hydraulic cylinders, I would spray them with silicone and wipe the dirt off.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
terry and jo

Unless hydraulic cylinders have really gotten bad in the means of construction, I wouldn't worry too much about dust and dirt. I used to be in agriculture and spent A LOT of time on tractors pulling farm implements through the fields.

Believe me, a farm implement cutting through the soil is raising a LOT MORE dust than our coaches will ever be exposed to in normal use. Plus, the hydraulics used to raise those implements are worked quite a bit in those conditions and are in that dust a lot.

It is also interesting that anyone is recommending lubrication of the cylinder rods. There is a lot on a farm implement to lubricate, but we never lubricated cylinders. Nor did we have many issues with failed cylinders, especially from "neglected maintenance."

I can see lubrication of those mechanisms that actually have gears, pinions, or whatever, but not hydraulic cylinders. Or, am I missing something?
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

I would think that lubrication of the cylinder rods is aimed toward minimizing corrosion/rust forming on the rod, which in turn might damage the seal as it goes in/out?
But I don't see any point to 'oiling' the rod to make it work easier.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
anijet

On the farm we always tried to store equipment with any hydraulic cylinders retracted to protect the ram from rust. I agree though, we never lubed or cleaned them when in use. On aircraft, when they are parked for extended periods of time and the ram is very dry, they will sometimes roll the end seal because of lack of lube on initial retraction. On the MS, if we have been parked for some time I will wipe down the rams with a lightly lubed rag just before I close up the slides or retract the stabilizers. Never have lubed the racks or pinions. Maybe I'll look at that. Sure don't want to attract dirt.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
jas24

lurication

I have used the "dry lube spray can" stuff that good RV stores sell before on my MS, but have not done it recently.
It is dry right after you spray it on the rack and pinion.

It is NOT for the hydraulic cylinders.

AS others have said with the farm equipment, no one usually does anything to hydraulic cylinders for maintenance.

Ofcourse the hydraulic cylinders used for farm equipment or aircraft were probably NOT made in China like our DRV's are........

The hydraulic cylinders on mine are rusting at the ends.....
looks like quality material was used in making these.

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote